1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Crazy lady today!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rider1000, Apr 22, 2001.

1. rider1000

rider1000 LawnSite Member

Got a call late last night (7:30 p.m.) woman wanting an estimate on cutting her lawn. Told her I would stop by today and take a look. I had a 2:30 meeting in her area with a landscaper and had to pick up some mulch.I show up at her place around 4:30 and she's outside mowing the lawn with a push mower. I pulled up and started to get out and the woman goes ballistic and screams at me don't worry about it now. I take care of her neighbors lawn and was going to give this woman a good price since she was right next door. Told my wife she was red in the face from mowing and will probably call back. When she does, I believe I'll tell her I just increased my prices by 15% the day before. I can't believe this woman expected me to show up the morning after calling and cut her lawn that day. I didn't even have my equipment with me since I was hauling mulch.

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

You should have told her whether it would be morning or afternoon when you would stop by. She might have just been waiting on you all day. I try to give a general time of day for estimates.

3. DBM

DBM LawnSite Member

I had a similar thing happen to me on Friday. This lady calls me at noon requesting a one time cut - It's my first year so I've been doing them. She calls wanting to know how much it would cost for me to cut her grass. Of course I can't give her a price over the phone, especially because she has no idea how large her property is. I keep asking if I can visit and give her an estimate, she says "O.K. when can you come out?". I told her I was home for lunch and I would busy for the rest of the day - How about Monday? She wigs out saying that's too late, she needs it cut today! (Friday), and follows it up with a I'll have to call you back - click.

I doubt she could get her neighbours kid on such short notice.
    These one time cut calls are a major pain in the butt. Most of them expect me to quote them over the phone for $10.00/hr and expect me to remove clippings. Although I need the work, I'm wondering if I really need the frustration of one time cuts.

Doug

4. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Poor planning on your end (i.e. the customer)
    does not constitute an emergency on my end.

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

You got to it first John! My Compliments!! :)

6. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Great minds think alike.

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

A lot of elderly customers think the same way. They think that your sitting around at home, just waiting for them to call you. I call this the "Fire Department" compairison. When the alarm (your phone) goes off, hop in your truck and make a bee line to their house!

8. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

John - I have the "poor planning" saying posted in my office. Pretty effective, too.

Mick