Crazy NE Temps, apply dimension?

PJNTJ

LawnSite Member
It's been in the 70's-80's here in Central mass during the days, 40's at night, soil temp around 50 degrees according to the weather charts. Should we really apply Dimension now?? I'm sure we'll get a freeze or two/three come April. I think last year I didn't put down dimension till late April.

OP
P

PJNTJ

LawnSite Member
Hmm, Greencast says 40-45 in my area of western mass, just about there, just seems crazy to put down pre-ems this early, I know we're going to get quite a few more freezes. I guess I'll just keep an eye on that temp map and the weather. Buy myself a forsythia bush.

socty

LawnSite Member
I started applying dimension yesterday here in southern RI. I know it sounds crazy, but forsythias are already partially bloomed. The other dilemma is the lack of rain. I want this stuff to be down if and when it ever rains again! This will either be the longest mowing season ever, or the shortest (due to drought). Good luck to us all.

Capemay Eagle

LawnSite Bronze Member
Forsythias are in full bloom and now the leaves are coming out! I think it is safe to say that we are pretty much out of it. Same thing happened a couple of years ago. The winter from hell and the second week of March, it went into the 70's and never looked back!

OP
P

PJNTJ

LawnSite Member
Welp. I didn't make it down to Lesco, and I won't have a chance for the forseeable future, so I guess I'm winging it. It has to turn colder, 7 day forcast up here is showing low 20's to high 40's so I think the crazy heat wave is over.

Maybe a good frost the next few mornings will kill any germination that may be just beginning? Just like how an early frost kills the CG. One can hope I guess.

dgw

LawnSite Bronze Member
Welp. I didn't make it down to Lesco, and I won't have a chance for the forseeable future, so I guess I'm winging it. It has to turn colder, 7 day forcast up here is showing low 20's to high 40's so I think the crazy heat wave is over.

Maybe a good frost the next few mornings will kill any germination that may be just beginning? Just like how an early frost kills the CG. One can hope I guess.
a frost probably will kill it
if not dimension at the high rate should kill it up to 2 tillers

avguy

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm forgoing the dimension this year and subscribing to the "thick healthy lawn will keep crabgrass at bay" theory. I'm just going to feed my bermuda with 33-3-8 every month & wait & see....

OP
P

PJNTJ

LawnSite Member
woa that's a ton of nitrogen. I did the four-step last year and was mowing twice a week and barely keeping up. I'm going with less synthetics, more organics, milo. I still need the dimension, had GG, oxalis too. If Dimension fails me again this year I'm stepping it up to Barricade. But like you say, hopefully a healthy lawn will crowd it out.