Credit card payments through yardbook?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ron mexico75, Jan 9, 2018.

1. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Silver Member

So I was wondering for those who are just getting into accepting credit card payments or maybe even those of you who have been doing it can help me out? I know how to set up the invoice so people can put in their credit card numbers. I am more or less asking about the actual process and how you go about getting set up to accept credit card payments.

Now, I have people paying me either through PayPal or mailing checks to me once I invoice them. I guess what I want to do is set up a way for the slow payers that I am tired of having to constantly remind to pay me. What I'm looking to do is have a credit card number on file for these people and if they don't pay by the due date say I give them a couple more days grace period for the payment to be made and if they don't I can automatically charge their card.

So if wanting to do something like this, I would imagine you need to send out some type of a contract that they would need to sign explaining how payment terms work and then authorizing their card to be charged? Otherwise if you were to just charge their card they could dispute the charge stating it was unauthorized right?

So that is one part of it. The other part is how exactly do you go about setting up to be authorized to accept Visa and MasterCard for yard book? It looks like you have to set up a stripe account which is the processing company that works through yardbook?

And then there is the 2.9 percent fee correct? Is that just for the transaction or is it 2.9 percent of whatever the amount is that you are charging for the service? If it's just for the transaction itself do you have to have that built in to the total on the invoice? Say if the weekly cut is $50 and they pay per month, you would want to charge them for four cuts totaling $200 +2.9 percent? So their total due for the month will be $205.80. Is that automatically done or do you have to go into each invoice that pays by credit card and add that on before you send the invoice out? Or maybe that's automatically added and they just have to be aware that's what their card is being charged?

How do you then get paid yourself? Do you have to have the money transferred from stripe to your bank account or is it automatically linked? As of now I am just used to PayPal where people will send money and then I can transfer it over to my bank account.

If I did not explain myself clearly please let me know. Any help is appreciated.

2. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

First, set up your Stripe account through Yardbook. You'll be good to go for Mastercard, Visa, and AmEx. I don't think they do Discover. After that, when you send the invoice, customers will have the option to pay invoice by CC. There, they enter their card number and have the option to save it. You also have he option to manually enter card info.

Your first CC transaction takes a few days to clear, but after that it's a day or two before the money is magically in your account; minus the fees. You're going to be hit with whatever the percentage is PLUS a few cents (don't remember what the exact figures are) for that transaction. If you want to recoup the fees up front, Yardbook gives you option to tack on a $3 convenience fee for CC.

If you're going to do auto draft, I'd suggest having something that outlines your payment terms and then have them sign something that authorizes you to charge them. There's a million examples of those forms online.

3. ron mexico75

Todd, thank for that explanation...much appreciated!

Just seems like the more time goes on, the lazier or more forgetful people get. To have someone write a check and mail it seems like it's meant for "the older generation". Heck, even PayPal customers have to "remember" to whip out their phone or log in through a computer and click a couple of buttons, and even that seems bothersome. I say that because some of the slow payers just use PayPal exclusively. Maybe it's because I'm just the "yard boy" and not a legitimate bill in their mind like a monthly car note, power, water, or mortgage.

Seems if I can make the payment for them (go in and charge the card) the hassle of sending reminder emails, adding on a late fee, etc, would be over.

Todd73 likes this.
  4. Todd73

Male, from Florida

I know exactly what you're saying. I got tired of chasing money and told all my customers this year that I'm going auto draft only. On top of that, new customers are prepay. Most people like the idea since they don't have a bill to remember to pay. Only one customer whined, my neighbor, and he offered to prepay six months instead. OK!

I get pissy when invoice time comes and goes, and my wife always says to be patient. But I counter with I bet the cable bill, cell phone bill, gym membership, Netflix, and other luxury bills get paid; why should I be any different?

5. ron mexico75

Funny! My wife says exactly what yours says and I must get the same way you do!

hort101 likes this.
  6. Todd73

Male, from Florida

I think it's easier for them to say that since they're not the ones who did work and now have to chase payment.

ron mexico75 likes this.
  7. ron mexico75

I also wanted to ask, how exactly do you go about getting peoples cards on file in order to charge the slow payers if they do not pay by or after the due date?

Sure, I would like to have the option on the invoice to allow people to pay by credit card. I have read through yardbook and watched the tutorial on how to set the invoices to allow that option.

But say right before this season starts, I will send out an email and I guess mail out the terms of how payments will work this year with a line for them to print, sign and date. Mention when invoices will be emailed and when the due date is. For example....invoices will be mailed on the 20th of each month an payment is due by the 1st. If payments are not received through whatever means the customer chose to pay (PayPal, mailed check, credit card) then the credit card on file will be billed on the 2nd of the month.

Once I get that signed term explanation back, how exactly do I go about getting them to input their card number in yardbook so I have it on file and can auto charge if they are late/don't pay?

8. ron mexico75

***I contacted yardbook directly and got a quick reply back letting me know how to do this.

9. ron mexico75

crap...another question. They just keep popping up in my head after I post.

So you can add on a $3.00 convenience fee for those who pay by card. But yardbook says Stripe charges 2.9% plus .30 cents per card transaction. On a $200 invoice that is $206.10. What do you guys that use this do about the other $3.10 or whatever the amount is that's left over?

10. Todd73

Male, from Florida

I don't convenience fee them. Since I make my customers use CC, seems pretty tacky of me to hit them with that. I just eat all the fees then write them off with the taxes.

greennola likes this.