Crown vetch in client’s junipers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Sitdownicantsee, May 16, 2019.

1. Sitdownicantsee

Sitdownicantsee LawnSite Member

Will Lontrel work for this? It’s $180, going to be a hard sell to the client.

F3460FEB-B997-4374-AE66-B8BE9FD0CB47.jpeg

2. JeremyKuhn

JeremyKuhn LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same situation, I am planning to use a wick applicatior or brush to apply round up lightly over everything without getting the juniper.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Hand-pulling is the best. Charge the customer what it takes on an hourly basis.
    I would concentrate on crawling down low and finding the fat main stem as it attaches to the ground and forms the root. Dig it out.
    Wear gloves and eye protection.

hort101, kemco, sjessen and 1 other person like this.
  4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Wonder if Certainty would affect vetch, it works on a lot of broadleaf? I've applied over the top of juniper for sedge

zlandman and oqueoque like this.
  5. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure about where you are but it dies in late spring here so just a pre emergent next fall.

oqueoque likes this.
  6. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I love crown vetch personally. But this clearly isn't the right place for it. I'd pull what you can then pull back the juniper branch and spray gly with prodamine.

I'm sure there are more exotic chemicals to blanket spray with but not worth the cost unless this is a huge area.

7. OP
    OP
    Sitdownicantsee

Sitdownicantsee LawnSite Member

I am near Charlotte. Lake Norman area- thankyou for that info, had no idea. Best way to apply preemergent effectively on junipers? Which pre?

8. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

You do realize it also spreads via rhizomes as well? and is perennial?

hort101, zlandman and sjessen like this.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Casoron\Dyclomec.

Just be careful if it is on a hill, which it looks like it is. Spread from the top and stay away from the applying at the bottom.

Roundup won't touch the roots. Sure, it will knock it back, but it won't kill it.

sjessen and zlandman like this.
  10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Take some careful observations.
    Probably want to spray when the juniper is mostly dormant.
    Or at least when the juniper is not growing rapidly. Rapid new young growth is more sensitive to herbicides.
    Zlandman makes a good point. Lift the branches up so you can spray under them. An assistant can lift the low branches up with a couple broomsticks or rakes, this would allow you to spray underneath--or cut the stems or both.
    You got a machete?
    If you have to slightly prune the juniper, go for it.
    Lontrel--as you, Sitdown, mentioned above, looks to be the best bet. Like Confront--only without the turflon.
    https://www.domyown.com/confront-herbicide-questions-pq-1513.html

Last edited: May 20, 2019 at 11:58 AM