Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did it, finally, lol. I was going to wait until I had the DO2 meter, microscope, qualified compost(or vermicompost) source, sufficient brewer, kelp and fish oil supplier, etc.. but I am officially brewing my first AACT.

Story goes... I was going to throw down a molasses test for some thatch (area with bad bug damage). Bought the molasses, and said, you know, the area does have a little fungi attacking it, so I might as well throw down a little good herd as I do it.

So it ends up I am brewing it in my 25 gallon sprayer, I have no idea if I got the inputs right but eh, it's a throw together test anyway. 15 gallons water (for 5,000 square feet), 24 ounces molasses, 1/4 cup NPK fert, 3 cups bagged compost, and I threw in 3 oz 123 ICT for kicks and giggles.

As you can see in the picks I am using a small (very small) fish tank air pump. I'll brew it for another 3.5 hours then spray. (might add a little more molasses right before I spray so the thatch test can still have a chance) I'll test the area but leave a 'control' strip. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Like I said, crude, but I thought I would show you guys that I am slowly moving along. :)

Electrical wiring Gas Space Audio equipment Wire

Fluid Gas Liquid Circle Soil

Food Ingredient Fluid Recipe Liquid

Dog Collar Carnivore Automotive lighting Electrical wiring

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm glad you are happy I even gave it a try Phasthound. :wink:

Any CT imo is a shot in the dark without the right testing/control equipment and proper inputs .. I don't have 1 grand to spend on things.. so hey, at least I'm playing with it.

Me read? I don't know how!

Phasthound, What do YOU suggest I did wrong?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
that is the sadest thing I have seen in a while, oh if you only heard the guys in the back ground.LOLOL. the npk what the heck was ya thinkin!!! and the air supply is so small and the large bubbles.LOLOL. that brew needs to start its way to the toilet, and that way it wont hurt the lawn. oh go d I m sorry, but I cant evn stop laughing on this one, I got to calll mike so he can see this,ROFL

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
well... I see it like this.. you got to start somewhere and now you have something to build off of.....
build off, its like junk yard compost tea wars, get a bucket and a good air pump, now this is the hard part, its compost tea, not molasses tea or npk sludge, after the whole N post did you not get that the ammonium is poison!

here let me call you a tow truck so that they can pull your head out of...........
http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/how-to/articles/brewing-compost-tea.aspx

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I have hit myself in the thumb with a hammer and it did not teach me to drive nails!!!! I just hope he logged off to go and sewer that stuff he concocted. after the 700 questions about every thing else I figured he would get a reality check at the starting gate. sure use the tank, just get a lot bigger air set up and some air stones, figure on .08 cfm per gallon at 80 degF and stirr the sediment every 2 hours and he will make some tea, there is one guy in India the just has labor stirred the tea all day and night in shifts, he still checks the do2 and the water temp, then looks at it under glass, also that much 123 tea will over populate the tea in a few hours. not good.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, I thought about not putting the info about the fert out there. I wish I had a scope.. bet I would have seen life... Tree if ammonium (or nitrate) is poison to microbes, why do microbes synthesize it in the first place? Seriously!!! answer it!!!! Oh wait, your dreamy understanding of plant, soil, microbe relationships is enough for you?

Second, lol I agree more air would have been good insurance, but I used what I had.

Third. Like I said.. it was originally a molasses treatment, but molasses feeds good and bad.. so why not throw some extra good out there in the process? :)

Fourth, thanks for the sarcasm about the pump, did you forget that is the one YOU suggested I buy?

Tree, have you ever sprayed an anaerobic tea? What were the effects? This one did not have enough time (4 hours), or inputs to go anaerobic IMO. Not a stink at all.

But...
Maybe I should bring your $140,000 compost topdressing disaster to mind to humble you a little. You do always say a start is a start don't you? Or maybe remind you of your answers about Bills 123, "any CT is good"?

Glad I made your day though.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Deep, I didn't learn any of that..

Already new more air would be better...

NPK... IS A GOOD THING!!!! IT IS MICORBE FOOD NOT POISON!!!! The problem is, it isn't as sustainable as a waste stream.

ICT, well.. didn't I say "kicks and giggles"... It gave Tree some kicks and giggles... And honestly, the ICT is pretty diluted. Bill suggest 1-3 oz per 1,000 I sprayed .6 oz per 1,000, just let it wake up for 4 hours.

But thanks for the support Deep. :)

I did learn some things about Tree. :)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!?

... isn't that from a movie or something? I can't remember...maybe the words are a little different... I don't know, I'm gone to bed...

"I KNOW NOTHING!"

~ Hogans Heros (the sergeant guy, whats his face?) (I LOVE THAT SHOW!)

Sorry...

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Haha, I thought about not putting the info about the fert out there. I wish I had a scope.. bet I would have seen life... Tree if ammonium (or nitrate) is poison to microbes, why do microbes synthesize it in the first place? Seriously!!! answer it!!!! Oh wait, your dreamy understanding of plant, soil, microbe relationships is enough for you?

Second, lol I agree more air would have been good insurance, but I used what I had.

Third. Like I said.. it was originally a molasses treatment, but molasses feeds good and bad.. so why not throw some extra good out there in the process? :)

Tree, have you ever sprayed an anaerobic tea? What were the effects? This one did not have enough time (4 hours), or inputs to go anaerobic IMO. Not a stink at all.

But...
Maybe I should bring your $140,000 compost topdressing disaster to mind to humble you a little. You do always say a start is a start don't you? Or maybe remind you of your answers about Bills 123, "any CT is good"?

Glad I made your day though.
ok its not the ammonium that kills its the concentration??? add ing good guy at the same time as molasses, great idea, ever wonder why almost nothing grows on pure molasses??? answer that one?

anaerobic tea is not what I want in my area, does not ring in with my ideas on control and nature, smells to bad for my yards also.

and my compost top dressing lesson, yes it still goes like this, don't trust some know it all newbie to sell you some compost based on his bs web site and not double check it. and that would have hurt some one else who was not sitting on as many acres of sod as I am, so lesson learned don't trust some one who really has no idea what they sell you.

and my dreamy ideas are good enough for close to 800 people to want to use, many farms and a lot of over seas interest, it has got me 2 degrees and has paid the way to where i am at. not insulted the fore most scientists and pioneers with bush league diatribes about N, that was in the arborist study guide 12 years ago, almost a joke to bring up all over again.

also that is not even close to being CT, ACT , OR ANY THING EVEN CLOSE, so no its not good.

JD the only thing green I have seen you post was the truck and it was surrounded by rocks

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok it's not the ammonium that kills it's the concentration??? add ing good guy at the same time as molasses, great idea, ever wonder why almost nothing grows on pure molasses??? answer that one?
And you proved my concentration was to high sitting 2,000 miles away from me how? You know what that harmful concentration level is how? Oh wait, I bet you have never asked that question. You EVER put NPK in a CT? I bet not. Your answer would prolly be a lie anyway.

anaerobic tea is not what I want in my area, does not ring in with my ideas on control and nature, smells to bad for my yards also.
Mine did not smell.. not anaerobic.

and my compost top dressing lesson, yes it still goes like this, don't trust some know it all newbie to sell you some compost based on his bs web site and not double check it. and that would have hurt some one else who was not sitting on as many acres of sod as I am, so lesson learned don't trust some one who really has no idea what they sell you.
HAHAHA Tree, still dodging responsibility for your own ignorance? If I use arsenic on someones lawn because 'mr ignorant' sold it to me and told me I could.. the government wouldn't bust my @ss? I don't need to know what I am doing? THANKS!!! THAT TAKES LOADS OFF MY SHOULDERS!!!! Edit: I guess you did learn to investigate things more deeply. I'm glad. :)

I had another thing to say here, but in respect to a third party friend, I will refrain.

and my dreamy ideas are good enough for close to 800 people to want to use, many farms and a lot of over seas interest, it has got me 2 degrees and has paid the way to where i am at. not insulted the fore most scientists and pioneers with bush league diatribes about N, that was in the arborist study guide 12 years ago, almost a joke to bring up all over again.
800 hundred people huh? Jerry Baker has sold millions of books... But keep going, you might catch up someday!

also that is not even close to being CT, ACT , OR ANY THING EVEN CLOSE, so no its not good.
Because CT is the ONLY GOOD thing that one can do to a landscape?

JD the only thing green I have seen you post was the truck and it was surrounded by rocks
And that's because I don't know how to make things green huh? Arguments based on ignorance are the fluff of a beaten person.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.