crushcrete

mulchmonkey2000

LawnSite Member
Has anyone used this? It's basically recycled concrete that can be used as 2a modified just cheaper....atleast around here. I looked at some and even though it's certified it seems like a lot of dust to me. Would this make a good backfill on a retaining wall or would it compact too much?....if there is such a thing. Now before you jump down my throat, I'm not talking directly behind the wall. I'm talking about instead of your fill dirt behind the drainage stone. I can actually get this stuff trucked in just as cheap if not cheaper than fill dirt. What do you guys think?

Ticolawnllc

LawnSite Senior Member
Has anyone used this? It's basically recycled concrete that can be used as 2a modified just cheaper....atleast around here. I looked at some and even though it's certified it seems like a lot of dust to me. Would this make a good backfill on a retaining wall or would it compact too much?....if there is such a thing. Now before you jump down my throat, I'm not talking directly behind the wall. I'm talking about instead of your fill dirt behind the drainage stone. I can actually get this stuff trucked in just as cheap if not cheaper than fill dirt. What do you guys think?
Techo-bloc told me "It's all good so long as it passes the 200 sive test

shovelracer

LawnSite Silver Member
I would love to see some analysis on this stuff. I played with it a little bit in the past. Our cost is like 2.50 a ton. I was told once it holds a lot of moisture. I would use it for fill but would make it known to the client what they were getting. A lot of folks would consider it garbage.

tailboardtech

LawnSite Senior Member
I used it to widen/extend my driveway about 5 years ago and its holding up it looks the same as the CR-6 that the rest of my driveway is made up of. I can't realy say it holds that much more moisture than CR-6 when compacted.
Posted via Mobile Device

materialmovers

LawnSite Member
It is what we are told to use out here for bases for wall and patios because our actual rock has to be hauled in about 70 miles. I also use it for driveway bases because it compacts so well and don't lose as much as the white 3/4 rock. I can't comment for fill though.

cgaengineer

LawnSite Fanatic
Posted via Mobile Device

Mowingman

LawnSite Fanatic
I used to operate a concrete crushing plant. Crushed concrete can be just as good as crushed rock, or it can be garbage. It all depends on the quality control at the plant. Proper crushing and screening is the key here. As mentioned above, you need to make sure it meets the sieve analysis test for the type of material you want to use.
If it has too many fines, it will actually set up hard, like concrete, when it gets wet.

OP
M

mulchmonkey2000

LawnSite Member
I've been asking around about it locally as well. The general response i get is it's great for base material with most saying they think it packs better than modified stone. No one seems to be sure as to weather it matters to use it as fill behind your clean drain stone as compared to fill dirt.