Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I've got one. It's a good mower, especially for the price. It cuts pretty good and is easy to operate. A few things I would like to change, and may when the warranty runs out, is increase the HP, ground speed, and blade speed. The 344cc Briggs engine comes in sizes from 10.5-13.5hp. The Cub has the 10.5hp version. In thick grass, it could use the extra power and torque. The mower goes a little over 4 mph, which is decent, but I'd like it to go faster, especially for transport from the trailer to an area across a parking lot. The cut quality is good in dry grass, but heavy wet grass could use a little more power. I'm thinking about seeing what the difference is in the 10.5hp and 13.5hp engine models are and trying to upgrade. Then, I might change the engine pulleys to larger ones so the ground speed and blade speed will be higher.

All in all, it's a good mower, great to start with and grow with. It's very easy to maintain. The machine is balanced so well that it will stand up when you tip it back to clean out the deck, sharpen blades, or grease the spindles (yes, it has greasable spindles).

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I have one that I use at my house. Would never recommend it for commercial use though.

Definitely better than a 21" push mower or a lawn tractor for use at home though. I dont think mine has greasable spindles but mine is fairly old. I think it has an 8 or 8.5hp briggs on it. Side discharge along with a mulch plug.

I know the front wheels are greasable along with the transaxle output shafts.

You muscle it around the corners so it can get tiring. I have a sloped section in the back yard where it will give me a little workout on.

If you are just getting started, as someone else said find a nice used commercial walkbehind or pay the extra for a new one. Most are around 2500 for a new gear drive 36" machine.

·
Registered
776 Posts
does anyone use those machines. i can get one new for $1200. they have eletric start and everything! they look pretty solid for a mtd product. tell me what you think.
Dude, you get what you pay for. First you are trying to get info on a Ariens/gravely 34 inch homeowner and now a cub walk. Go ahead and get whatever you want but dont expect that stuff to last. Get a 34inch Gravely, fixed deck, gear drive or something otherwise you are just wasting your money.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just purchased one about 20 days ago. I have used it once to cut a 2 acre yard with about 3’ of tall grass. The machine could use a bigger motor since mine had the 10.5 and would bog down at times cutting the tall grass. Yes the spindles do have grease fittings. Once thing to remember is not to leave the key in the start position when not in use. The clock will run and now I have 77 hours on the equipment even though I only used it for about 15 hours.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I have used it once to cut a 2 acre yard with about 3’ of tall grass. The machine could use a bigger motor since mine had the 10.5 and would bog down at times cutting the tall grass.
THESE MOWERS ARE NOT BUSH HOGS, SO IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE IT TO TRY TO CUT SOMETHING THAT IS 3 times taller than what they are meant to be used on, do not complain that it needs a bigger motor. It is YOU that needs to buy the correct equipment for the application.

·
Registered
160 Posts
yes its better than a 21 i used a troy bilt 33 for almost a year for gated back yards but when i finally picked up a 32 encore commercial i couldnt believe the difference in speed and cut not to mention i could use a velky but i payed like $50 "bad engine" for it off ebay and i sold it afew months back for 350 why would you spend 1200 dollars on one when you could get a good used 32-36-48-52 or even 60 comercial wb which as already stated would be much faster better cut and last alot longer but its your money spend it the way you want

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just picked up a 44" Toro Proline w/ a Pro Slide for $1,100. Look around and find you a good used commerical mower and you will be much happier.

·
Registered
249 Posts
THESE MOWERS ARE NOT BUSH HOGS, SO IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE IT TO TRY TO CUT SOMETHING THAT IS 3 times taller than what they are meant to be used on, do not complain that it needs a bigger motor. It is YOU that needs to buy the correct equipment for the application.
The 33" cadet did do the job. Had to go overlap some areas but over all it made cutting the grass easier then with a 21". Most of the yards I do are residential w/less than 1/4 acre yard and w/small gates to get to the backyards. 2 acres with 1 tank of gas. Would I ever do it again? Probably but not as tall. Need as much work I can get since I am looking to save enough to get a ztr next year. True, there are bargains to be found on the classified adds especially on CL. When the lawn season ends, I plan to visit some of the lawn equipment dealers and see what end of the year sales they may have. Still looking for a trimmer and blower and use the current ones I have as back up.

·
Registered
249 Posts
There are a lot of good name brands to be had but do not just go and buy one because of word of mouth. Try all the gear out then decide which one suits you the best. Also try doing a search on this board. You may/will find a lot of on some of the equipment you are interested in.
Hope you find what you are looking for. Season will end here soon enough so if and when you do get customers, give them the best possible service you can provide to retain them for next season. Who knows, maybe they word of mouth may spread get more customers next year. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I really don't think I'd go for the $1500 rider. It's not a whole lot wider, and it won't be nearly as maneuverable as the 33" walk behind. You can safely load the walk behind in the back of a pickup truck too. For the money, I think the 33" is a better buy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.