Cub Cadet any good ?

paulsgrass

Banned
A while back I was talking with someone in the Business who was using only Cub Cadet. He had a few crews working for him and said he was happy with the machines they made.

What are peoples opinions regarding Cub Cadet and real world experiences ?

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member
A few homeowners have them around here, and everyone that has tried them commercially end up with something else. I have worked on a few in my shop, and they are not built very well, at all.

Cheap spindles, (replaced quite a few for no more mowers that I service,) thin decks, (most of them stamped,) tiny cheap drives, (might be OK of such a light weight mower?)

I would spend my money elsewhere. Even most cheap mower these days have at least a few good features you can sink your teeth into, but Cub Cadet is one that I can't find any features that interest me. As much as I dislike John Deere, they do have features I like such as a comfortable operator station, good ride, decent cut, and are actually pretty customizable for a Z-turn mower. But I just can't find anything about a Cub Cadet that I like...

Raisedonadeere

LawnSite Member
I test drove the commercial one with the steering wheel. It was super easy to do all kinds of turns around objects and to do a reverse with our tearing up the grass. And effortless to hold a straight line going fast. I was amazed at the improved handling on steep slopes, especially going across the slope. I am sure there would be a application for this that would make it pay regardless of any other cons.

However when I saw how complicated the controls were that coordinate front wheel steering with the rears I immediately saw some very expensive repairs down the road. And there was some other chincyness that sent me on my way to look at other mowers but that steering had me looking back.

A very interesting machine that could be made great.

OP
paulsgrass

paulsgrass

Banned
So we have come to the conclusion that walker is the goal of other manufacturers. I suppose walker equipment is much more expensive then other brands ?

cold-beer

LawnSite Senior Member
What is the Rolls Royce of Lawn Mowers that everyone compares them selves to ? Ferris ?
Zero turn mowers, I would say Ferris.
Trim mowers, I would say Toro.

Neither of those are the gold standard though.
I would say the gold Standard for zero turn mowers would be an xmark or Toro and without a doubt it would be Honda for push mowers. I bet Honda has 90% of the commercial market for trim mowers.