1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cub Cadet or Gravely????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bunky, Mar 3, 2004.

1. bunky

bunky LawnSite Member

I'm looking at a Gravely 60 in. hydro or a Cub Cadet 4814R Which one should I buy??? Any opinions would be helpful...

2. Lowes_Landscaping

Lowes_Landscaping Guest

Do you mean a Cub Tank? I'm not sure of that model

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

As a Gravely 272z owner, I'd pick the Gravely 260Z as a 60" mower. Itsn't Cub made by MTD?

4. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

Anything but Cub Cadet.

5. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I have no experience with the Cub, but am quite pleased with my Gravely. Neill

6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I know nothing about the gravely, but I have a 48" MTD pro, a tank 60", and a tank 72",. I have had great results from the cub's, matter of fact I'm getting another 60" with a kohler 27 in about 3 weeks. But all in all the differant mgr's are pretty much the same mowers

7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

what do you mean.............. Cub's are a good mower. there is a little bit of mtd in just about every mower

8. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I like the tank!!

9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

thats true, alot of differant mower mgr's have mtd built hydro pumps/motors in them. But we have been thru this a 1000's time, look close you will see similar thickness decks, same hydro's, same motor options, same size/thickness frames, I could go on and on. There all pretty good mowers, check out the service part of your local dealer. This is why I'm with cub, could have very well been a exmark, scag, or whatever, but dealer support drove me to the tank.

10. robertyb

robertyb LawnSite Member
    from ga

I demoed a Tank with 27 hp Kohler and 60 cut last weekend. Nice ride, smooth handling, I was impressed. One well made machine with a great warranty. On the 48 inch model I believe you do not get individual wheel motors but an integrated system. Goes a little slower I was told but I did not try one out. I would rank the ride better than a Exmark CT, about par with Hustler Z and not quite as good a Grasshopper 220/52. I am still looking, want to try all that have dealers near me before I buy.