1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Cub Cadet Pro Z 100

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Rthompson, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Rthompson

Rthompson LawnSite Member

Hello everyone; first time poster here.

I just bought a Cub Cadet Pro Z 160L despite it being brand new on the market (went against my better judgement and bought it without reviews...they don't exist). I've used a Scag Tiger Cub for many years with almost no qualms, however I've always thought of brand loyalty as a fault...

Anyway, I've only logged 5 or 6 hours on the thing and I have to say this thing is a beast. It's gotta be one of the heavier mowers in its class. It's thick all around man; and with the hydro gear 3400's on it it can move all that weight too. It's got a 27hp Kohler EFI which I'm worried about (heard mixed feelings on it). By and large I'm pretty satisfied so far.

My question is, does anyone else own one of these yet? Or have heard of any issues etc.? Some reassurance my impulse buy won't become a disaster would be awesome lol.

Thanks!

jchipps likes this.
  2. jchipps

jchipps LawnSite Member

Just curious how you're liking your Pro Z 100? I'm in the market for a Zero Turn and still debating my choices. Haven't gotten to actually check one out in person yet, but after trying out a normal ZT on my property, I'm kinda liking the idea of the steering wheel and more stability.
    Any information on the Pro Z 100 series much appreciated. Thanks

3. OP
    OP
    Rthompson

Hey,

I got the lap bar version, so can't comment much on the steering wheel version. I have to admit I didn't hate it when I tried it (the idea of a free hand for a beer while mowing seemed awesome), but I felt a lot more proficient maneuvering with the lap bar. A zero turn on the steering wheel entails a few rotations of the wheel, whereas the lap bar is a swift push-pull motion that's much faster/efficient. Otherwise, they seemed to me to be the same mower. I think the steering wheeled version was a touch slower in a sprint, but not sure.

I have to say, you won't be disappointed with these; they're one hell of a tank. A buddy of mine (drunk) rammed it full speed into a bollard (steel/concrete) of my barn which nicked some paint and didn't bend anything. It jumped and spun about 45 degrees. They won't let you do a test like that at the dealership! lol

So far I have zero complaints. The only thing I've noticed is there's a clicking noise from the deck when mowing at the 5" setting; doesn't seem to be an issue though (I've checked everything and nothing is loose). It can blast through 2+ foot grass without issues. It's got power man, never seen a mower throw grass as far as this one. Be ready to go up and down more than a few times next to a road if you don't wanna bury it in clippings.

Besides it being a beast, it mows my good grass perfectly even and as well as a creeping Walker (best cut I've personally seen) mower at 13mph; I really can't believe it.

So far, I really have no bad things to say about this mower.

4. jchipps

jchipps LawnSite Member

Hey thanks for the reply and the additional info. Sounds like you've got a beast of a mower there.
    But yeah, I didn't notice that your model was an L (Lap bars) instead of the S (steering wheel).
    I'm still researching my options and not really dead set on a steering wheel type, since I've never even tried one out. I'm pretty sure I'd actually prefer the traditional lap bars as far as the ease of use, quickness and functionality of them.
    Only reason I'm even looking into the "S" models is that I've read they're supposedly more stable and easier to control on inclines which some areas of my property has.
    I also figured my wife might feel more comfortable with a 'wheel' if she happened to use it occasionally. But with that said, if I had a shiny new mower that's actually fun to operate, I probably won't let her on it anyway Lol.
    Anyway, thanks again for the info.
    Not to high jack your thread, but if anyone else reading this has some first hand knowledge and use of the Pro Z 100 'S' series I'd like to hear your opinions, Pros and Cons.

Thanks

5. Ntran

Ntran LawnSite Member

I am looking at the Cub Cadet Pro Z with steering wheel too. Reason being I have a fairly steep slope and a mower with steering wheel seemed to work better. I have tried Hustler Raptor SD, Ferris 160z (Kawa FX engines and ZT4400) and Ferris SRS 2 together with Toro SWX5050 (steering wheel) and so far the Toro impressed me the most with its ability to handle the slope. But I am looking for something that could last a long time and bit concern about Toro's new engine. The Pro Z seems to be well built, thought Cub Cadet's reputation on zero turn does not seem to be that great around here (heard negatives about its deck design and belt issues).

6. OP
    OP
    Rthompson

You're completely right about that, but this is a completely different beast. Compare this to the other Cadets ZTR's (Zforce or something); they're toys in comparison and share nothing that I can tell.

I'm convinced this is on par with a Scag Tigercat, minus a few grand.

7. Ntran

Ntran LawnSite Member

Do you know if pulley on the Pro Z is plastic or metal? Looks like most complaints about CC is on the plastic pulley and belt. Thanks

8. OP
    OP
    Rthompson

All of the pulleys are steel.

9. Ntran

Ntran LawnSite Member

Thanks man.

10. mbjst

mbjst LawnSite Member

Hi, I just bought a 154L and can certainly agree that it is a beast. Noticeably heavier than the Hustler Fastrac I had before and WAY faster. The big Kohler has gobs of power. One thing I noticed though is it doesn’t do reverse well. The specs say 9.5 forward and 4.5 reverse, but no way mine is nearly half as fast backwards as forwards. Has anyone else noticed that? It appears that the levers don’t go back into the notch in the plate they come up through.