Cub Cadet Pro Z 900 problem or not

My427stang

LawnSite Member
My second mower is a 2018 lap bar Pro z 900. I was running it the other day and thought I lost a wheel motor/pump because of excessive play and odd turning. Turns out a nut fell off the damper and the way the CC is designed, the bolt couldn't come out, but made for a very odd behavior and feeling. I fixed it quick enough, but it got me watching the mower closely LOL

So, this mower, when coming out of a zero turn and accelerating, or aggressive uphill acceleration will do a little chatter that feels like a relief kicking off, it does fine if you let off and go again. Additionally, it tears up the lawn like nobody's business compared to me Exmark Lazer Z EFI. As a final comment, downhill braking is nowhere near as nice as my Exmark, it's abrupt and will skid tires easy where I can work the Exmark

The Pro Z 900 has integral wheel motors and pumps with belt driven fans, the Exmark has a standard design with 2 pumps and wheel motors. I have nice clean oil in the reservoir, even fishing around with a magnet, and if I don't horse it, I have no real reason to think it's bad, just not as refined as the (18 year older) Exmark but sort of ticks me off at time compared to it's much older garage mate.

Do you guys know if there is any setup, relief, adjustment etc, I should look at for the CC Pro Z 900 seems like maybe I could get it better, or is it just a characteristic I need to get used to?

Thanks in advance

OP
M

My427stang

LawnSite Member
So I talked to a dealer today, actually many, but one stood out. Henry's Service Center in Illinois. www.henrysservicecenter.com

He said that there is there is a bulletin out on engine bolts loosening and falling out, and he has seen some CC 900 Pro Z with only one bolt left when they came in and belts were slipping.

He also said that since 2018 when mine was built, that they revised the belt, which could also be a source of chatter/slip.

Finally he said that if those fail, pull the cartridge filter, check it for particulate, and if clean, put Castrol Syntec 5w50 instead of the original fill. Apparently Cub Cadet has come out and said hyd fluid can go 500 hours if you use the Syntec, but only 200 with their name brand fill.

I will get out there tonight and start checking bolts. The belt seems intriguing, he even said you can tell if you put it against a hard object as the fans will stall as the belt slips. Sure would be nice if it was just a redesigned belt!

Top Forums