1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Cub Cadet vs. Exmark

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mfdbrian73, Aug 13, 2006.

1. mfdbrian73

mfdbrian73 LawnSite Member

I mow 3.5 acres of grass at my residence. It is a combination of Bahai, and St. Augustine. I have narrowed my choice to two ztr's. Please provide advise on these two choices. First one is a Cub Cadet M50-KHS Tank. This unit is priced at $5000.00. The second is an Exmark Lazer HP with the 19 HP Kaw. engine and 46" cut, priced at $6000.00. I don't mind spending the extra money for the Exmark if it is the better choice of the two. Thank you in advance.

2. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I picked the Exmark Lazer HP 5 years ago and never regretted it. Mine's a little bigger (52" and 23HP Kawasaki), but that's probably not too significant. Cub Cadet is an MTD product, and my experience with that company is limited to a log splitter I bought at HD. It hasn't been very good; in fact it has been terrible, so from now on I will shun anything made by MTD.

Good luck!

3. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I have read a lot of post from people having exceptional results with Lesco/Cub product.
    A search should give you plenty of reading, you just need to be able to sift out the mine’s better than yours dribble.

I will definitely check the Cub out for my next purchase.

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We have run cub tanks for a few years and love them. total fleet is 2 60"s and a 72". Plus 2 W/B's:cool2:

5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

That Cub Cadet model you have asked about is not a commercial unit. It is somewhat of an inbetween type that is a step up from the Z Force homeowner model and beneath the true tanks. That model also has a stamped deck.

Between the two I'd go with the X Mark. I am a Tank owner and I like my M-54 Commercial.

Nosmo

6. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

My john deere has a stamped deck and it cuts good. What's wrong with a stamped deck

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

does the exmark have the triton deck on it??

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

If you mow a lot of lawns you will destroy it in no time. Plus the cut is not as good.

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Well, I guess that could depend on if the deck is 7 gauge stamped steel or the homeowner crap ?

10. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

The cut on my john deere is IMO better than my 52" tt exmark and 36" tthp exmark. I think the stamped 7 iron deck is also thicker than the exmark decks. I haven't read about people destroying these decks but it could happen.