1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cub Cadet walk behind upgrades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TomberLawn, Mar 17, 2009.

1. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have looked at the 36" mowers on the market that have dealers nearby and decided I'd better just keep my 33" Cub Cadet a little while longer. It's a decent mower, but I have a few plans to make it better and need some help from you mower mechanics out there.

The first upgrade I want to do is convert it from electric start to recoil start. I know, that may not sound like an upgrade, but the battery goes dead a lot and the engine isn't all that big, so I could crank it myself. Craftsman markets an identical mower, but it has a pull start. Anybody know where I can get the part number for a recoil starter unit for the 344cc Briggs and Stratton engine? I've looked at some places online.

Another engine upgrade I want to do is increase the horsepower. It's rated for 10.5hp and the same series of engine goes up to 13.5hp. What's the difference? How can I get 3 more horsepower out of mine?

The last upgrade I want to do is twofold. I want to replace the double pulley on the engine with a larger double pulley so the blade speed and drive speed will increase slightly. It goes 4.12mph according to the specs. I'd like to get it to go 5-5.5mph. 4 is ok for mowing, but I'd like a little extra speed for transporting from the truck across parking lots or down the street to a neighbor's house.