1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

CUB CADET ZT1 LIKE A COMMERCIAL MACHINE?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Thecrow1, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Thecrow1

Thecrow1 LawnSite Member

I picked up a used ferris not long ago. Since I wrote that post my lawn business is through the roof. Hired extra guys just for the lawns. I currently have 4 mowers, Ferris zero, Kubota walk behind sulky, Toro commercial push and a ride on Deere. I want a new zero for myself budget is 3500 to 4k. Im looking at these
    Ultima ZT1 50 in. Fabricated Deck 23 HP Kawasaki FR Series V-Twin Gas Engine Zero Turn Mower with Lap Bar Control I know not commercial but just look at how its built, warranty, features engine its nice IMO. Will be used for three larger properties by myself. My buddy has one and you would have to see the cut to beleive it. I am also looking at BadBoy, Husky, Kubota. I want and need a Kawasaki engine wont go w anything else. I dont care if manufacturer says its residential if its built like this Ill take a chance. I need something 48 to 54 inch. Ill finance it. Cant spend anymore than that and Id like some input from people who owned or own these residential machines to chime in. Thanks in advance

2. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

My dealer told me he’d recommend a toro my ride over the cub any day. He doesn’t trust cub.

Thecrow1 likes this.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I did a quick peek at them when I went to my Cub dealer for some parts not long ago. It wasn't the ZT1 that caught my attention first. It was the ZTX5 and ZTX4. At first I was thinking at first glance is this the new commercial line?... until I walked over and started looking at them and saw they went down into the ZT line with the same styling and the black deck.

The ZTX or commercial versions are probably out of the budget you have set. I didn't ask prices. In any event, look at the specific details on each mower you are considering and make a decision based on what is important to you and what you feel like will get the job done best and last you the longest within your price range. It's tough to make decisions in the sub-commercial price range because you usually can't demo and test them out head to head on the work at hand.

While you are looking at the specific details, compare them directly to the commercial version of that same brand as well. That way you understand better the difference that exists (if there is one) so you can evaluate that at the same time. It will help you quantify things down the road and help you have a longer list of must-haves on your next purchase than a Kawasaki engine.

Everyone has a different list of things that is important to them. Some of them are founded and legit. Some of them are not and are just wants. Some of them will apply to you and your business while others will not.

I am not in the business anymore, but I still use all commercial grade stuff. I don't need it and it is overkill. But I had some accounts that would not sign and transfer their contracts to the new owner. So I had to keep one of everything and finish those contracts out years ago, leaving me with one of everything. When faced with the option of selling that equipment off and getting homeowner stuff, I couldn't talk myself into it at the time. I cut more than the regular guy cutting his little lot still. All of this stuff is over 15 years old now and still rocking along. I would like to have a brand new Cub Commercial just so I could try out the newer slant nosed decks. But do I need it, no. Eventually I will have a major failure or more likely be unable to get repair parts anymore and will have to re-evaluate what is important to me along with what my budget will allow although I know well that you often get what you pay for.

In the end though, not everyone needs every item on a mower to be absolutely top of the line. Even when I was a full time jockey, there were premium things I could have gotten by without. Like for example I didn't need the thickest deck in the world because I didn't have guys running them into curbs or iron pipes, and I don't live in a state with sandy soil that sand blasts a deck to paper thin over time either.

I believe this series of Cub is new enough that you may have a hard time finding someone who has used one daily for long enough to help you with your decision. I hope I am wrong. But I think you will have to rely on your own decision making process.

Cam15 and Thecrow1 like this.