1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Cudos to one of our own,

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sweet Tater, Mar 19, 2009.

  1. Sweet Tater

    Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,123

    Lawn Worker Saves Man's Home From Fire
    Man Helps Put Out House Fire With Garden Hose

    POSTED: Thursday, March 19, 2009
    UPDATED: 1:02 am EDT March 19, 2009

    JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A Jacksonville lawn care worker was dubbed one family's home savior for helping put out the flames of a house fire with a garden hose. The owners of this Mandarin home say they feel blessed a Good Samaritan helped keep a fire from destroying their home.

    The Good Samaritan said he saw the flames Wednesday afternoon and knew he had to act fast. He then grabbed a garden hose and started spraying until firefighters arrived.

    A melted trash can, a charred air conditioning unit and the burnt garage door were a clear indication that something went terribly wrong at the Mandarin home. However, firefighters said things could have been much worse had it not been for Robert Baker.

    "All of the flames were in the AC unit. They were shooting out like a firework or something," Baker said.

    "It apparently had been burning for awhile, it progressed quickly," said homeowner Chuck Cuthbertson.

    He and his family were not home when the fire broke out, but thankfully Baker was nearby doing lawn work a few doors down.

    Baker said he saw the flames shooting up 7-8 feet in the air and knew he had to do something to help.

    "I kind of panicked. I actually called my mom," Baker said.

    She told him to call 911 and then try to put the fire out. Baker grabbed the garden hose, but he said it barely reached around the front of the house. So, he used his thumb to make the water go as far as it could.

    For eight minutes, he used the hose to soak the flames until the fire department arrived.

    "I've never heard of an air conditioning unit catching fire like that," Baker said.

    The Cuthbertson family said they feel blessed because had two more minutes passed without Baker's intervention, their entire home could have gone up in flames. Instead, the Cuthbertsons said the fire damage was limited only to the outside of the home.

    Baker said he hopes others learn a lesson from the incident and help the next time someone or something's in trouble.

    "Do a good deed every now and then ... maybe you'll get one back," Baker said.
  2. Junior M

    Junior M LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,595

    Nice, hey, your F works..
  3. Sweet Tater

    Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,123

    had to play with it lots to get the one eph to work, the rest is cut and paste
  4. ambersLawnmowing

    ambersLawnmowing LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 333

    Good to hear, I never have anything exciting happen when i am out and about.
  5. mowerbrad

    mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,268

    Wow, 8 minute response time, I would have liked to see better. But I guess not every department is in a smaller town. Good thinking by that LCO, good to hear of someone doing the right thing and not just blowing it off.
  6. hockeypro1411

    hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 271

    Sounds like it may have been a younger person... Why would a grown man call his mother for advice? Lol I would think he'd have it figured out by that stage in life. Nonetheless, it's always good to hear about someone doing a good deed.
  7. mattfromNY

    mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Central NY
    Messages: 1,582

    He did a good thing, but one needs to be careful spraying water on electrical fires. Recently my wifes' grandfather saw a bunch of round bales of hay in front of his barn across the street on fire, he ran and grabbed the hose, but just before he started spraying he noticed a power line had broken and fallen onto the hay and started the fire. If he'd of sprayed water onto that main power line, he'd been fried like a Kentucky fried chicken.
    Most of us should have a fire extinguisher in our trucks, and would be a better choice than a garden hose.
    Not discounting this guy for doing a good job, I'd just hate to hear of someone getting hurt or killed for trying to do a good deed.
  8. weasel

    weasel LawnSite Member
    from 5
    Messages: 195

    I had an employee pull a elderly man off of his riding mower that had caught on fire. He was on fire and my employee took his shirt off and put him out. Both had minor burns though. The family offered him A LOT of money and he didn't take it. They paid his medical bills even though we had insurance.

    Any others had some tragic situations?

Share This Page