1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

curbstone facing which way?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by bigviclbi, Mar 6, 2006.

1. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Question for those who use curbstone as borders around walks. Obviously when I use it as bed edging the tumbled face is out. But on a driveway that abutts a lawn or a winding path, do you go tumbled out(smooth side facing the pavers)? I usually do it that way, it just irks me they don't make them double faced like belgium block. I just drove by a job and they had the smooth side out towards the lawn, so I was wondering what everyone else does. Anchor and ep henry are the brands I use, any other manufacturers with double sided curbstone?

2. amvega

amvega LawnSite Member

Always have the textured face facing the pavers. It highlights your walk more. Never seen smooth face against pavers.

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

textured towards the pavers. Techo has a curbstone that is textured on both sides and is more low profile.

Chris

4. bigviclbi

from nj

Thanks guys, understand your points but I still would feel funny having a path that is going to the front door and seeing the unfinished side of the block facing the view of the front yard from the street. I am going to the Techo website right now, I've heard alot about it lately and am gonna see if there are any local distributors that I am unaware of.

5. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

Hey cg is techo the manufacturer if so where do get them?? We use a lot of ep henry' curbstone i would be intrested in seeing a double faced curbstone.

6. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Both Techo Belgik & Pietra have finishes that can be shown on either side.
    http://www.techo-bloc.com/#

Vic is action, Atlantic or Kennedy close to you or maybe Le-Ed (sp?) All are Techo dealers. The majority of the product in this area come from the plant in Penn-Argyle, Pa and is quick and easy for local dealers to get a hold of. If you need the phone number to your rep, send me a PM.

Kirk

7. bigviclbi

from nj

LE-ED only carries EP Henry by me, I think action is down south I'll check it out.

8. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Check with LE-ED, they are now a Techo dealer and if that location doesn't have it, they can get it. They signed up with techo this winter and I don't know if they have received their product yet.

Action, Atlantic & Kennedy are all related and are new to techo this year I believe.

Kirk

9. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I would definaltly have the tumbled side facing the pavers...would you not be able to raise the grade on the smooth side to hide it?

I think I am following you, although I can't see me even incorporating it into the design if it wasn't retaining something and would look silly bordering a walk if it wasn't.... I dunno...got a pic?

10. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a pic of a walk we did w/ the edgestone. I personally don't like the look, but it's what the customer wanted.

Chris