Lawn Care Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts
I don't see how a certain mower put's you in a higher priced market, I work in some of the high end area's around here, ( Thornblade, Chanticleer) with my stand on and no one takes a second notice to the type of mower I use, nor did they ask when I was interviewing for the job. As long as I was insured, and delivered the quality of work they were after they could care less what type of mower I was using.

I don't see how a certain mower put's you in a higher priced market, I work in some of the high end area's around here, ( Thornblade, Chanticleer) with my stand on and no one takes a second notice to the type of mower I use, nor did they ask when I was interviewing for the job. As long as I was insured, and delivered the quality of work they were after they could care less what type of mower I was using.
A reel mower will put you in a higher priced market, but I agree...a rotary mower whether it be a Walker or a Toro is still a rotary mower.
Posted via Mobile Device

I laugh every time I read this from people on here. "I'm gonna get all this new work with my walker." I have done of the wealthiest clients in this country, and they don't even know or care what type of mower I have or use.
Posted via Mobile Device

High priced maintenance nightmares. I had one and really don't miss it. There isn't anything it can do that a properly set up ztr can't. Productivity is no match for ztr. When they start wearing out they become frustrating to use. Wait until something breaks and you get the parts prices alone nevermind the labor charges.
Posted via Mobile Device

High priced maintenance nightmares. I had one and really don't miss it. There isn't anything it can do that a properly set up ztr can't. Productivity is no match for ztr. When they start wearing out they become frustrating to use. Wait until something breaks and you get the parts prices alone nevermind the labor charges.
Posted via Mobile Device
Come with me for a day and I will prove you wrong on the ztr theory. Productivity is relative to the property you are doing. If you were doing a 350 year old cemetery which wasn't designed for commercial mowers, the average space between stones was 48" and the whole property had to be bagged, would you stand by your statement? Every mower has a place, for what we do NO mower has matched a Walker, we have z's, have demoed standers and other types of mowers. I don't believe it is a superior to everything mower but for people who need the pros the Walker has to offer there is no equal IMHO.

Come with me for a day and I will prove you wrong on the ztr theory. Productivity is relative to the property you are doing. If you were doing a 350 year old cemetery which wasn't designed for commercial mowers, the average space between stones was 48" and the whole property had to be bagged, would you stand by your statement? Every mower has a place, for what we do NO mower has matched a Walker, we have z's, have demoed standers and other types of mowers. I don't believe it is a superior to everything mower but for people who need the pros the Walker has to offer there is no equal IMHO.
Could you pigeon hole a purpose for a Walker any more. Bagging is a small enough demographic almost non existant here. As for a 350 year old cemetary then you have a unique situation that needs a special purpose solution. High volume residential and majority commercial benefit from the compact, high speed characteristics of ztr's.
Posted via Mobile Device

Could you pigeon hole a purpose for a Walker any more. Bagging is a small enough demographic almost non existant here. As for a 350 year old cemetary then you have a unique situation that needs a special purpose solution. High volume residential and majority commercial benefit from the compact, high speed characteristics of ztr's.
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't most ztrs make large baggers anyways? NOBODY bags here and I've never had a customer request it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Where we are, most people want their lawns to be bagged. Its basically assumed that you will be doing that.

The original post subject was someone asking if a Walker was worth it. If you haven't owned one for more than 7 days, then you probably don't have much useful info to add. If you had one and didnt like it, then your input on this post would be useful to the person asking. Bickering over your personal opinion is useless.

I have a navigator so its pretty similar. While the cut is similar to a ztr, its a bagging machine. I can bag wet grass at a good clip. I can bag tall grass almost full stick when dry. One thing with floating deck is you'll notice how uneven a property really is. It floats and contours with the ground in like a ztr. A bagger on the back of a ztr is about as clumbsy as it comes, plus it adds about 12" to the discharge side taking up room on a trailer, and adding more trim work in certain areas. I don't notice any more maintaining it than a ztr. The flip up deck is nice to take blades off. Being able trim going either way makes the a difference. As far as the controls between your legs, on a straight away you just sit back and relax. On curves or turns its just slight pressure. No swinging your arms around. For large areas or non bag areas I use my 60" ztr.
Posted via Mobile Device

Where we are, most people want their lawns to be bagged. Its basically assumed that you will be doing that.

The original post subject was someone asking if a Walker was worth it. If you haven't owned one for more than 7 days, then you probably don't have much useful info to add. If you had one and didnt like it, then your input on this post would be useful to the person asking. Bickering over your personal opinion is useless.
I don't need to own one as it is a complete waste of money where I live. I'm glad your taking so much business away from people who don't use a walker.
Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device
These are situations I have, this is why I have chosen a Walker, like I said, open areas we have used Walkers in the past until we purchased our Z's, production increased over 70% using Z's over the Walker. Every mower has pros and cons. Walkers save us time during the spring and fall cleanups and reduce trimming on smaller properties.

She's pretty fun to roll around in the hay with too :drinkup:
Keith, have fun with the old lady but watch where you stick your pitchfork while playing in the hay. You may burn the tip!:laugh:

I have a Walker, its a year 2000 with a 26 EFI and I love it. It has made me much money and continues to do so every time I use it. I started out using it as a main mower. I have a 42 GHS deck but I quickly learned that I shouldn't bag all customers lawns. I also have a 52 SD with double blades and used that as a main for a while. I had an opportunity to buy a 62" Toro Z and I have used that as my main for about 8 years now. The Walker is paid for and is used but in the spring and fall for clean ups as well as being used for spraying lawns in those seasons. It has over 2000 hours on it and I have replaced a few idler pulleys, a starter and a hydro motor. Still it makes me very good money and my business needs it. I will admit that it probably isn't for everyone and some may say that it is alot of money to do what I do with it however I can't find one machine that is so versatile to use in my business. So I will continue to take care of my Walker as best as I can and replace what may need replacing but I will always have a Walker in my stable. Keiths mowers must have a good exhaust leak. That was a good read.

I run exmark and see no difference in cut. I see a few walkers around here and I like there striping but the operator needs to be awesome or those stripes look terrible. My dad has tried them at fairs and thinks that is what I need but nope, not happing. My dad isn't in the business but inputs his thoughts! They are fine I assume but just not for me or my operation.

we used to run them when i worked for a landscaper in high school, personally i think they are great mowers. the interchangeability is great, we could load up several decks or attachments and be set, go from a 36 to a 52 in less than 5min if necessary. flip the deck up and scrape it clean in the middle of a yard if you needed to. the controls are the best IMO, one handed operation plus the speed control made it a cinch to mow straight even on bumpy yards. all it takes to turn is slight movement of fingers. the deck being right out front made it easier to see both sides at the same time and get closer than any other ztr aside from maybe a stander. we had both GHS and the ''truck'' type walkers, plus an aerator, blade, and maybe a dethatcher can't remember on that one. plus just about every deck they made. they were really do it all machines and we never had any major problems with them, only engine trouble but that machine had several thousand hours on it

For those who say they make ugly stripes...I added a split tail wheel kit, god I love this machine.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.