Lawn Care Forum banner

Curiosity is killing me. What is so special about a walker?

17K views 79 replies 31 participants last post by  Groomer 
#1 ·
I have always wondered what the big deal was about walker mowers? I have only ever seen 2 being used ever around here. From what I see these are my thoughts on them.

1. They take up WAYYYYYY too much space on a trailer
2. We do not bag anything nor do most guys around here
3. They are painfully slow
4. The between the legs steering setup just seems "funky"
5. The 3rd wheel stripe is just down right fugly
6. The two I seen was leaving a sub par shaggy looking cut

So what is the deal? What am I missing? I must be missing something because I see people talking about them like they are the holy grail.

#77 ·
I'm not sure where you would find a mower for 18k! I can get a brand new Walker for 11. I bought both of mine gently used and saved a lot of money that way.

Anyway, we all have to start somewhere and do what you gotta do to make money, but if you're going to get on here and rip on these mowers its probably because you have not owned one or don't live in an area where the need is there.

#79 ·
Precision8m:
Detail is key in this industry. 90% of the accounts I get from other companies is due to lack of detail work or small details That were missed that most find insignificant. Your average mow,blow,go guys don't understand the need for a slower Walker mower because they are only concerned with speed. The ability to trim with both sides of the deck, fold up deck design, maneuverability, bagging capacity, and quality of cut: these are all things a high maintenance, super detailed account require. You can charge a premium price for this type of account, you can take your time, and you can provide superior quality to your customer with these machines. Most ppl don't understand what they are charging for while mowing a yard: it's not $75 to mow, it's "x" amount of dollars per minute/hour... We sell TIME. I see so many on here that focus on the quantity of yards they have, not the quality. I use to run through 150+ yards a week until I started going for quality. I now have 35 contract accounts now and make twice as much money. So walkers suck, are slow, and unnecessary?... I say keep on mowing your self to death. I'll creep along on my slow machine, sucking up the cash.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.