1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Curly Neal got hosed!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SprinklerGuy, Apr 6, 2007.

1. SprinklerGuy

SprinklerGuy LawnSite Bronze Member

Curly Neal paid a guy $95 to winterize last year and had a broken copper pipe in a wall....I had to cut the pipe in the basement, cut it outside pull 10 feet of 1 inch copper through the wall and start over....PITA...

That guy can talk as much as I can so the job took ove 2 hours ;)

I gave him one hell of a discount in exchange for these pictures and an autographed miniature ball, which I drove and got during the job.

Quality man....funny as heck.....and a great person!

this really isn't an irrigation thread...but I have met many many famous folks doing this job.....and he was by far my favorite...I grew up watching those Harlem Globetrotters and it was a pleasure to meet him....

I told him he was awfully short for a basketball player and he responded

"that's because his sprinklerguy was draggin him down!"

Sorry for the drift......

Attached Files:

2. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

Great Pic. I saw Curley as a kid myself with the great Meadowlark Lemon. He'll remember me I was that red headed kid 8 rows up.

3. SprinklerGuy

SprinklerGuy LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah...me too in Okinawa, Japan..we had a laugh about that.

Meadowlark called while I was there....the New Globetrotters are in town this weekend.....he was asking Curley if he was going....I told him to tell him I said hello :)

4. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

which one is Curly? , ah just kiddin'. I saw them as a kid too back in Jersey.

Tony, is he in the Springs?

5. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

oh man its early! I guesss he wouldn't have paid 95 to winterize in Arizona!

Did he tell you what company charged him that much?

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Not me!!!

I haven't worked for any celebrities that I know of. Unless you count that one time with Jenna Jameson!!!

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Dang Tony... When I first saw the thread title the name escaped me until I started reading. At first I was thinking of "City Slickers" and Jack Palance but then remembered he was Curly Washburn in that movie.

As a kid I saw the Trotters several times in So Cal. I seem to remember they always played a team called the Washington or NJ Generals? It was always a delight and besides great basketball talent they always had the crowd in stitches with their humor and positive outlook on life.