Current and past product praise/complaints>

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Aug 11, 2017.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Go by brands. Go by what ever.

I'm curious to what you all hate and what you like. What's failing this year?

For me I've seen a few Hunter 8 station DC Xcores die under warranty (2).
    On one of those warranty's same system a DC Irritrol died on me too. Not sure if they are related.

On that site I should note a very serious power wire runs about 40' away from the mount. If things die again I'm going to be bullsh!t cause its a freebee community job.

Also my tried and true wireless Irritrol rain sensors have been giving me some issues like I never have had. Seemingly on the few I got I couldn't transmit or receive through a concrete sill and pad of a garage. Godammit I tried like 3 of them all with the same result. I finally just hung it in a bad spot with good reception.

Are there any Toro Reps on here that can weigh in?

My Rainbird 5000's are holding up like a champ.
    Hunter PGV's might of had 1 be bad. Other wise still buying those by the cases.
    Hunter Pro-c's have been great except for having to pay Facking $5.00 for a remote port what a rip off.

End rant.

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

They've move their mobile rep office up to Cactus hug for the time being.

3. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Hunter hockey pucks and node 2. I dislike both of them!

I have been in the habbit when I replace and aged valve or sprinkler head no matter the brand I speak up and say you can see the quality of the product.. it's lasted 20+ years

4. HunterTekGeek

HunterTekGeek Sponsor

XC-Hybrid battery controllers should NOT be dying. We get very few returns, so let your local Hunter guy know so we can get that critter back to Engineering.

Smart Ports. Let me get a ruling on that since I want to be respectful of our Distributors that are selling them. For a time we were providing them (separately) for free upon request. But that was 3 or 4 years ago. Our research showed that most of them were being thrown away. All the Commercial controllers still come with a Smart Port pre-installed.

I will reply to you next week on this, please. Many thanks.

5. Srlance31

Srlance31 LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the communities my company has built over the years has been Toro based. So first, the old Toro 252 valves were awesome. New ones not so reliable. What makes me most upset about them is you can lose the bleeder easily (only way to manuall turn it on) and the solenoid plunger and spring are separate, another easy thing to lose. Oh! And the solenoids are expensive compared to hunter and rain birds now and if you want a o-ring with it guess what... that's extra! Really??!!

I will say this, I am impressed with the Hunter DUAL decoder system and Rainbird's LXD. Loving the Rain bird IQ system. Anyone know Baseline? Good? Bad?

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Hey HTG-

Thanks for your response. My local Hunter rep is still getting his feet wet so I'm not sure where that timer made it. I have an Irritrol solenoid that got cooked from it still I can send to you that was connected to that timer.

2008-09 I got Bartlett Tree to start using those remote ports and getting into that game. Prior to they were trashing those for years and years.

Finally out here people got hip to the remote game.

Throwing those away to me was so wasteful.
    But paying 5$ per really puts a bad taste in my mouth considering they were free for a long long time.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with Eddie on the pigtails. If I buy one clock , sure charge me. When I buy 5 cases , throw the damn things in.Only cost me $4 extra to have my company name screenprinted on the front of them but $5.80 for a remote pigtail.

1idejim likes this.
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Those Buckner pop-up impact heads are always hanging up. :)

Get off my lawn.

Mike Leary likes this.
  9. benhargreaves

benhargreaves LawnSite Member

Rain Bird DV valves Thumbs Up
    - Never have to touch them once they are in the ground. Except on a few lake systems or if the landscape crews decide to become irrigation techs and fill the lines with rocks, sand, and dirt.

Toro T5 Rapid Set :nono:
    - I swear this head was an April Fools joke that just went way too far. The old T5 wasn't exactly the world's greatest head, but this iteration might be the world's worst. Also, it's not uncommon for me the get a head with the set screw for the nozzle to be installed upside down. Does that happen with other brands?

Hunter MP Rotator :wall
    - Never installed them, but did pick up a maintenance contract this year that has only them. They seem to work ok, but my gripe is with the filter. First time I took an MP Rotator nozzle off, the filter came off. And made it all the way down into the inlet at the base of the head. I just wanted to check the filter, but I had to dig up the head. Seems like a bit of a design flaw to me.

10. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

I spec, oversee, and work with BL extensively on projects (formerly as a field tech then as a consultant though we handle all programming, monitoring, etc.). Am one of their go to people in the Midwest for it. I really enjoy their product and they probably have the best and quickest back-end system, plus easiest to understand for your average user. Having a controller that can do 2-wire and conventional out of the box, plus has an ethernet connection built in is great, among other things. They manufacture decoders for a lot of different vendors and from a service standpoint, being able to visually see the decoder status in the field without additional equipment is great.

We have had park districts and Universities remove all of their Hunter, Rain Bird, Rain Master, etc. controllers and switch over just for the ease of the remote access and monitoring (real-time, web-based, no syncing bs, correct ET, etc.). Turning on a zone from a tablet or phone speed-wise is the quickest on the market from my testing.

Sure there are minor features I would like to see or changes, but they are probably the best to work with from a rep to support standpoint.