Customer added a pool in backyard, do I adjust mowing price?

Ready to Mow

LawnSite Gold Member
My customer had a pool installed that took like 4 months due to covid and so there was basically no grass back there and he only had me do the front yard. Do you guys adjust the price for something like this? Now its installed and there is grass back there again..... It's one of those small yards where I charge a $30 minimum and honestly I don't really care that I was only doing the front yard for a while I don't think the price should change, but I think he's hinting that the price should be knocked down during that time.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
My customer had a pool installed that took like 4 months due to covid and so there was basically no grass back there and he only had me do the front yard. Do you guys adjust the price for something like this? Now its installed and there is grass back there again..... It's one of those small yards where I charge a $30 minimum and honestly I don't really care that I was only doing the front yard for a while I don't think the price should change, but I think he's hinting that the price should be knocked down during that time.
So you were just doing the front for $30, and now there is more to cut and trim around?

OP
R

Ready to Mow

LawnSite Gold Member
No I was doing the whole yard front and back for $30 then while he put the pool in they tore up the whole backyard, hence why i was only doing the front and still charging $30

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
I'll just send a bill for what he owes. It's like $150 right now.

If they are a great customer, cut him a deal for the duration the backyard didn’t need service. If they aren’t a great customer and not in a neighborhood your trying to grow in, then do what you do, as long as your ok with losing that customer.

gardiner

LawnSite Senior Member
I would keep it the same. Same as you kept it the same while only doing the front to finish the season.
Track the time. Adjust accordingly for the next season.
This is without knowing how much more time and details are required.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
I never adjust downward for stuff like that. Usually I spend any extra time I have budgeted to do a few things to improve it - maybe unearth some old half buried stepping stones, clip back the Rhodie hanging over their sidewalk, remove a couple of low limbs. Now if adding the pool means mowing takes longer because I have to bag the pool area or it blocks access to a lawn area for my big mower, then the price is going up. I upped the price of three lawns this year because one added a fence for a dog area and 2 others added irrigation and renovated their lawns. I may go up further on one of them. It's lush sod that requires double cutting or bagging and a lot of precision trimming.

Short answer, my prices get adjusted in one direction for lawn changes, upwards.

Top Forums