Customer Asking for Insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Steve, Feb 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Steve

Steve LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NE FL

If a customer ask if you are insured and wants proof, do you just give them the policy number and phone number to contact? Will the insurance co tell them how much coverage I have?

2. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

Ask your agent for a certificate so you have one to show people. No big deal, actually you should have one on file just for these situations.

snomaha, hort101 and Steve like this.
  3. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Keep all your licenses and coverage on file with you at all times. Depending on locale you can get fined if you cannot provide proof of coverage even if you are covered.

Could be a homeowner who's had a run in with a shady contractor in the past and got stuck for a liability claim.

4. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a certificate from Liberty Mutual that states my policy number, as well as details on coverages and amounts. I just email them a copy but do keep hard copies in my truck as well for the old people.

Mow-Daddy.com and firecutgrass like this.
  5. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell you agent you need a COI sent to your customer. You can keep them on hand if you choose to. I just send my agent an e-mail with the customers info and they have a copy in minutes.

Ijustwantausername and Steve like this.
  6. La Chandler

La Chandler LawnSite Member

Totally agree with this. However, I would inquire why the question and keep my guard up.

7. Steve

Steve LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NE FL

What are some red flags?

8. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Senior Member

I never really have many ask, as I provide the copy as a PDF along with my proposal/ estimate via email.

9. code54

code54 LawnSite Member

Don't blame a customer at all. Had a contractor get me once. He had an insurance card - turned out he canceled it after getting it and I didn't verify it. Wont make that mistake ever again!

10. La Chandler

La Chandler LawnSite Member

Most business advertise they are both bonded and insured. If a prospective client also wants proof, either they don't trust your word or are extremely careful, and perhaps litigious. A definite red flag. The church requires a hard copy of insurance, but then that is a commercial account worth tens of thousands of dollars.