Customer asking for w9

spitfire3416

LawnSite Senior Member
I have this customer who is asking me for a w9. Why would he be asking for this? We just did a landscaping job for him and haven’t received payment yet so I’m wondering if and how they are related.

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Senior Member
Is this a homeowner job or commercial? I have w-9 on file with all my commercials and wouldn't do it for residentilals. Is this a residential that is running it through their business? Starting to see some Red flags here.

OP
S

spitfire3416

LawnSite Senior Member
Is this a homeowner job or commercial? I have w-9 on file with all my commercials and wouldn't do it for residentilals. Is this a residential that is running it through their business? Starting to see some Red flags here.
It’s for a residential homeowner. I know he does own a business. What red flags are you referring to?

OP
S

spitfire3416

LawnSite Senior Member
You haven't been paid for a residential and now he wants a w-9. If this is a one-off job and he didn't bring up the w-9 thing when he accepted the proposal, I'm saying no. If you have a EIN, I know its not a big deal.
ok but why should I say no though? I’m trying to understand the angle here and why you mentioned seeing red flags. Are you suggesting that he’s trying to get out of paying me? What would be his motive that makes you leery about me providing it?

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Fill it out, give it to him. It isn't going to hurt you, he's the one that would have an issue if he's audited.

We frequently get the requests after sending the invoice.
Is he going to claim as business expense?
Is that what you're getting at?

Last edited:

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Tell him you need more money for a W9 lol kidding
I’ve never had that request before, was this a large job?

rclawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
I wouldn’t give it for residential either, even if he is running a business out of his home, that wouldn’t be deductible and he would be in trouble if he got audited. I wouldn’t want any part of it, lol.