Customer asking for w9

rclawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yeah but for tax purposes a landscape install is not a maintenance or repair item. It’s a capital improvement, so if it were deductible it would have to be spread out over 15 years. Sure, he can deduct it but if the IRS audits him he is going to get penalized for it. If you could just deduct the entire expense for landscaping at once, all sorts of people would be setting up a “home office” to install tax deductible patios, decks, landscaping, pools etc lol.

The exception is if this is a rental property or he is in the business of flipping houses.

Last edited:

rclawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
Mowing is questionably deductible, as it is a maintenance expense and almost de minimis because of the low value it is doubtful the IRS would bat an eye. Your office space sq. Footage is definitely deductible because of the business purpose it serves, so you can deduct the costs of your utility bills calculated for that square footage also

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
Yeah but for tax purposes a landscape install is not a maintenance or repair item. It’s a capital improvement, so if it were deductible it would have to be spread out over 15 years. Sure, he can deduct it but if the IRS audits him he is going to get penalized for it. If you could just deduct the entire expense for landscaping at once, all sorts of people would be setting up a “home office” to install tax deductible patios, decks, landscaping, pools etc lol.

The exception is if this is a rental property or he is in the business of flipping houses.
But again...it isn't the OP's problem.

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
All customer needs for write off is an invoice. W9 is so customer can send 1099 to landscaper for amount of bill for transfer of tax duty.

Landscaper is going to pay same tax regardless if it comes in on 1099 or self report income.

Very rare homeowner would bother, only concern could be potential identity theft.

Maybe it's an investment property not a primary residence.

BigJlittleC

LawnSite Fanatic
A residential property is odd they are requesting a W9. It would not throw a red flag up as it is a tax form the client would then be responsible for. I've seen guys ask for a W9 just to see if your operation is above board and not some beer money weekend side gig. Fill it out who cares if he sends you a 1099 your reporting all your income anyways correct?

rclawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
In my experience they have sent the w9 before we started the work, but I have only gotten requested on commercial jobs and I don’t do many commercial jobs myself.

rclawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yeah I have an EIN and have for years. If I didn’t have one I would be very wary of giving out my SS# especially if it was a homeowner lol. I think every commercial job I have done sent a W9, come to think of it