Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Banned
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I eXperieced numerous customer complaints on the accounts where the eXmarks w/mulch kit were being run & none on other accounts. The compaints were allways that the grass looked Pushed Down. All accounts are cut at 3-3.5" in the summer which is when the complaints started.

It Was those Curvy Mulch Blades. This year all units are equipped with eXcalibur high-lifts & Notched & there Has been No Complaints.

You can visibly see the difference where the curvy blades would push down the turf- the eXcalibur's lift it & leave a Picture Postcard Cut.

Whats-up with those Blades---I bought Quantity when I bought the MM Kits-Now I want my $$$ back.

· Registered
8,082 Posts
Mulching never worked for me. The Vacuum is combated by the downforce of the mulching blade. Cant have both! Plus I believe that you need to cut a bit lower for mulching to be really effective and look good....(ie. 2.5-3" MAX)

· Registered
1,524 Posts
Yes, I have seen the wavy blades also do this. There is no lift with the blades, so it doesn't get all the grass sucked up to be cut, especially when you are cutting at 3.5 in and higher. I did not have any problems when cutting at 3 inches though.

When you use the excalibur blades and the mulching kit, do you have a lot of blowout?

· Banned
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Blowout.

With the eXcalibur High lifts or Notched the finished cut is Perfect at 3"-3.5" w/mulch kit (baffles&plate).

It was Unbelievable the # of complaints we had with those Wavy Blades. They cut fine at 2.5" but anything higher they are Complete Garbage.

· Registered
340 Posts
I've still got the Ultra-vac mounted on my Lazer and about to put the Mulch kit on this week. After reading this, should I bother? Maybe stick with the original blades and the mulch kit? Doubles? No mulch kit, but add an OCDC & the anti-blow out baffle? Lemme know what you think. Thanks.

· Banned
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The eXcalibur High-Lifts give eXcellent results with the Micro Mulch Kit at 3" & Over---Stands the Grass Straight Up & Clean Cut.

The Wavy Blades are now called eXcalibur Mulchers. Stay far away if cutting High.

· Registered
23 Posts
This is my second year with the MM kit on my 48" TTHP. I have been using the "wavy" blades the whole time.

I have never had a lawn look less than perfect. Spring growth, summer drought or fall leaves.

I have one customer I cut at 4" and all the rest at 3.

I diagonal stripe each lawn and they look fabulous. Only problem I have is front blowout when it is dry.

I have no complaints, the difference might be my cool season grasses up here.

Bob

· Registered
977 Posts
Originally posted by STAN1366
I've still got the Ultra-vac mounted on my Lazer and about to put the Mulch kit on this week. After reading this, should I bother? Maybe stick with the original blades and the mulch kit? Doubles? No mulch kit, but add an OCDC & the anti-blow out baffle? Lemme know what you think. Thanks.

If you have the Ultra Vac mounted. why ya even considerin the mulch kit, OCDC, doubles etc...:confused:

· Registered
1,072 Posts
I have the Lazer HP and run mulch kit with wavy blades all year and also have nothing less than perfect. All lawns are cut at a height of no less than 3.5".

Something I can say has made a huge difference that I can see is sharpening with the Magna Matic grinder.

I have no complaints from customers or to Exmark about their machines.

· Registered
1,163 Posts
Originally posted by STAN1366
If you don't want to bag why not take the UltraVac off and just side discharge??? That's what I do when the grass slows down. The mulch kit installation is too much of a hassle if you ask me. Add an OCDC if you want to keep clippings out of beds. I don't run an OCDC as I have a few that want it bagged no matter what, so the OCDC would have to be taken off to use the UltraVac.

· Banned
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by crazygator

Something I can say has made a huge difference that I can see is sharpening with the Magna Matic grinder.

I Tried That.

I would love to see a close Up pic of a lawn cut with MM Kit with Wavy eXmark Blades at 3.5". All ours looked Seriously Pushed Down.

Motor vehicle Yellow Engineering Gas Electrical wiring

· Registered
132 Posts
I have a 60" lazer and I mulch with the wavy blades. No matter what time of year it is, I never cut fescue lower than 3.5" I don't really have a problem with grass pushed down although occasionally the cut won't be perfectly clean and I'll have to double cut or cross-cut. (this could be due to a number of conditions including dull blades, excesive speed in thicker grass, or the grass getting blown down and not getting cut at the same height as the other.) good topic though

· Registered
340 Posts
Ajays:
If you have the Ultra Vac mounted. why ya even consider-in the mulch kit, OCDC, doubles etc...:confused: [/B][/QUOTE] The reason I want to use the mulch kit is since there's so much less grass growth now that I can get maybe 2-3 lawns w/o dumping the bags and with the MM kit I'll not have to dump at all. Plus, w/o the Ultra-vac I'll have a bit more room on the trailer. I'm after a neat appearance when I'm done w/o double cutting.

· Banned
4,409 Posts
I mulched with a lazer hp 48" and the stock mulch kit all last year. I found that less than stellar Tall Fescue lawns without really thick rigid bladed grass did look a little "mussed" when mowing above 3". Looked great on Bermuda at 2.5" or below.

But anytime you're mulching in less than ideal conditions (wet, tall grass, high mowing height) it won't look as good as bagging or even discharging in some cases. I trust the Exmark engineers to know what works best in most cases.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.