Customer Dissatisfaction Response

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by OneManLandscaping, May 13, 2019.

1. OneManLandscaping

OneManLandscaping LawnSite Member

Hey all,

Had a new lawn maintenance customer dissatisfied with our lawn cut the other day...how do you guys usually handle? She stated that we missed a couple spots and the edging wasn’t clean.

Not sure how picky she is as compared to just a general PITA. She stated the grass wasn’t very long, when I know it was overgrown because of the Spring rains and haven’t been there for a few weeks. I was going to offer her a free cut the next service, but charge her for this last one. Thoughts? Thanks!

2. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

Here's my response...... :waving:bye :waving:bye!:walking:

3. GreenscapeCT

GreenscapeCT LawnSite Member

What happened to her lawn company from last year?

Are her complaints about missing a few spots valid?

4. OP
    OP
    OneManLandscaping

You know I usually ask, but I don’t recall or don’t remember her response.

I was onsite doing the work myself with one of my guys. We were rushing because we are so backed up, but I thought it looked okay when we left. I could of missed something, but she has a postage stamp of a yard. It’s possible that the mower could of pushed some of the lawn down instead of cutting it because of the length.

Cam15 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    OneManLandscaping

You know I would definitely consider that... wanted some feedback from you guys... thanks

6. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Member

2 ways to go:
    1. Fire the customer and forget her; or
    2. Do what is needed to determine whether she is being picky, a PITA, or perhaps has a valid complaint. That means to go back and look for yourself, see if you really did miss something in your rush.

sjessen, Cam15, EricC and 2 others like this.
  7. GreenscapeCT

GreenscapeCT LawnSite Member

How many times have you cut this “new” customer this year?

If this was the first cut, being a new customer, you should have done an excellent job.

If it’s not the first cut, apologize and reassure the customer that it will not happen again.

sjessen, Cam15, iand and 1 other person like this.
  8. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

1st complaint I'd apologize to her and thank her for letting me know. I'd let her know that we'll be sure to square it away next service.

If she complains after your next service or two, I'd thank her again and let her know that we appreciate the opportunity but we're just not a good fit for her.

Unless the client does something grossly obscene or rude, I always try to take the high road.

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

Giving her a free cut is akin to rewarding her PITA behavior. She WILL complain again, guaranteed.
    Reason w/ her first. If she is not sympathetic to rainy/weather issues and you being behind OR that an overgrown lawn will not mow as nicely...then she may be a RIPE PITA/'roid deserving of someone else...at which time you need to liberate yourself from her.

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

go check and see what she is talking about. if nothing is missed or wrong then drop her. if missed spots take 5min to trim them down with the trimmer and move on.