• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Customer had my back on Sunday!

Derwood

LawnSite Bronze Member
She lives on a corner lot along a busy road to our tourist town. We've been together a few years now. She's awesome! One of those customers that you just love to mow, you know?

Sunday, I'm making my first pass along side the road like always, and stopped to pick up a Coorslight bottle to add to the collection of my Monster cans, StarBucks cups and beer cans/bottles that are already in my trailer basket, from my other accounts that day. I didn't take it right over, I just laid by my feet, and continued - no big deal, right? When I came around where my truck was, I could see this lady looking in my trailer basket. She didn't look like a thief so I figured she was just being nosy, and I continued to mow. 5 minutes later I'm getting a strange look from her, and by the time I finish my next pass, she's at the front door of my customer! WTH is going on???

So I finish mowing and my customer comes out to pay (just like always) and says, "Knockin' back a couple of barley pops while ya ride around my yard on your little toy mower, are ya?!?!" Turns out this lady thought I was boozing while mowing (and apparently hopped up on Monster and yuppy coffee, too!) and felt the need to rat me out to my customer lol!! Then my customer busts out laughing and says, "that's what my nosy neighbor thinks! She's an idiot altogether!!" Then she said, "I told her, 'Wait til it gets cold out and he switches to Brandy!!! My yard is gonna be a total mess then!!" Her nosy neighbor says "Really!?!?! That's terrible!!" My customer says, "No!! Does my lawn look like a drunk is cutting it!? Leave my man alone.... and STAY OFF MY LAWN!!"

I said, "Oh that's funny! There'll be a discount for today's cut." She goes, "I'll have nothing of it. There's an extra "double saw-buck" in there for ya!"

Just thought some of my brethren would enjoy the read :)

DMT29

LawnSite Member
That is a great story.

Sometimes neighbors are more of pain than the customers. I have a Nosey Ned too. This guy is outside before I step foot out of the truck. He proceeds to walk the property line while I mow. "Dude what do you think I'm doing?" I always smile and wave and the game continues.

rclawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
This gave me a little laugh. I honestly could have pictures this happening to me when we did mowing

Youngandfree

LawnSite Senior Member
That is a great story.

Sometimes neighbors are more of pain than the customers. I have a Nosey Ned too. This guy is outside before I step foot out of the truck. He proceeds to walk the property line while I mow. "Dude what do you think I'm doing?" I always smile and wave and the game continues.
I went to quote a potential customer last week. He mentioned that his neighbor, who has a car in a legit blow up car bubble in the driveway, likes to know when the lawn guy shows up, so he can move his other cars. I declined to take on that guy, cause imbsurely not dealing with that customer.