1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

customer laughed at me.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lawnwizards, May 19, 2005.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

went to give an estimate on a mulch install. lady wants 6 yards removed and hauled off. new fabric (the best you can buy, her quote). 6 yards delivered and spread. i quote her 800 dollars. which by the way i thought was a real bargain. she proceeds to laugh at me and tells me thats way too high. i'm thinking that materials alone is 300 plus. i guess she wants little johnny to do it for a peanut butter sandwich and a glass of lemonade. :rolleyes:

2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

That price is a bit steep..even with expensive weed fabric. Same type of job here in Florida would fetch $400-$450. The most we can get for mulch is around $50 per yard installed.

3. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

DENNIS-- What about him having to load and haul away the old 6 yards aof mulch?

4. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

$400.-$450 is about right for the new mulch around my area. its the removal and hauling off the old mulch that would suck. i think $800 is a fair price......

5. DennisF

from Florida

Oops...I forgot about the old mulch removal. Dementia must be getting me.

I would add another $200-$250 to my price for the removal and haul away. Should take one guy 3 to 4 hours to remove the old stuff.

6. lawnwizards

i thought it was more than fair. 6 yards around here would go for about 25-30 per yard. fabric around 100. pins about 20... its more labor intensive then anything though. i thought 500 labor for 3 people for 8 hours. cheap? probably. but i had an empty day...

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Crew sounds over sized for that I think it could be done with 2 guys for 6 hours.

8. lawnwizards

what kind of price would you come up with? does 800 sound too cheap or too expensive?

9. DennisF

from Florida

Give her a break and drop the price to $750. Emphasize the cost of removal of the old stuff and hauling/dumping fees.

If she still doesn't bite...walk away.

10. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

Ask her what she thinks its worth ..... And then tell her to call the other LCC and get a price and call you when she sees its cheap ... Or don't bother with it at all