Customer outside watching everything you do

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by williams lcm, Jan 4, 2019.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

My old customer would stand outside with his arms crossed watching everything I did. If I was in the backyard mowing he would go back there. As soon as I moved to the front he would follow me. He would watch me trim shrubs and everything . He did this every time I came to mow. Now he dropped me for a cheaper lawn service. I went to mow his neighbors house since I have always been doing that and noticed a new lawn guy on his property. Well guy still out in yard following new lawn guy around yard. The new lawn guy was freaked out. I like customers but please stay away from me mowing. Anyone seen customers like this?

2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

usually just window tweakers

I find it more creepy if they act like theyre not home and you feel like being watched :help:
    Just as your packing up they come out and act like no idea youve been there:dizzy:

3. kinneberg lawn service

kinneberg lawn service LawnSite Member

I have had that few years back for first few mowings then it stopped. Usually just come out to talk or to give me some treats usually a candy bar ice cream pop. It nice when its hot rhats for sure. In your situation prob didnt do it the way they would have. Some people are set in their ways technology has increased speed and productivity people dont understand.

KerbDMK likes this.
  4. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple old farmers sit out on their back patio they just like watching me on the walker. Look at it like you can show off and show them how good you are.

5. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

Trust me you're being watched, if not by the homeowner the neighbors will be watching. My neighbors never miss a thing I do. It's funny how many times a neighbor will approach me later and start to say "I noticed you were......:) Heck, I look out the windows too. I need to know if the neighbor is getting a new washing machine! Lol.

But, standing right out there and watching is a little wierd and dangerous for the watcher.

6. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

He stands out every time with a serious face. No smile no nothing. He is an Indian guy and thinks he getting ripped off. But he won't leave u alone.

7. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Id probably say for safety or insurance hes got to be inside or a safe distance

iand likes this.
  8. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

First, be grateful he let you go.

Second, sit back and enjoy the show. You'll see plenty of new guys go through this if you keep cutting the neighbor's place, might as well laugh about it.

Working for someone who thinks they are getting ripped off is just never worth it. It's always a headache.

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

you are better off without a customer like that.

10. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I have a client that comes out and watches but he stays on the front porch. He does it everytime. I wave when I get close, he waves back and I carry on about my biz. He’s never stopped me while working or come into the lawn while I was working. If he did I’d just let him know that it’s not safe and I can’t service the property if he's in the lawn. If he didn’t listen, he’d be finding someone else. I don’t care if anyone watches as long as they stay outta the area being serviced. It use to kinda bother me years ago but I could care less anymore. Most of the time if I see them, I wave. They either wave back or quit watching. I don’t care either way. Just think it’s fun to let them know I’m aware that they are watching.