1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Customer raises hell over $17.50 service charge.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GSO LAWNEN4CER, Sep 21, 2017.

1. GSO LAWNEN4CER

GSO LAWNEN4CER LawnSite Senior Member
    from GSO NC

Ok guys this one is new to me. It's the first time a customer has gone off the deep end over $17.50 or any price I've charged. A out of state couple contacts me through thumbtack. I sent in my bid like all others. She calls me within 15 mins. They live in Florida and have a rental home here in NC. The renters moved out the first of August. So the lawn hasn't been cut since then. Ok if you guys are familiar with thumbtack, the customer list the size of the property etc. Well the lady list the yard as small 1-5k sqft. The yard is closer to 10k+. My base price is $40 and I clearly state that in all of my bids. You can save and duplicate you bid and send it out to all and it never changes,except the name. So she calls we go over what she wants. She goes into this spill about hurricane Irma. How it's no food in Florida and so on and so forth. And how they have a big mortgage in Florida and so on. Long story short, I tell her I'll take care of it tomorrow. Which was Wednesday.So after using google maps I find out it's close to 30min away. Ok, so I head over and see the property is larger than she stated, and it's has 4 weeks of growth to boot. So I knock it all out,trim, blow and go. I emailed them a invoice for $57.50. And all hell breaks loose. I just don't understand the uproar. I could see if I sent them a invoice for $100 or more I'd almost expect it. $17.50 on a yard that 2x what you said it was and overgrown? I don't get it?

2. GSO LAWNEN4CER

from GSO NC

These are the before and afters of the property.

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0387.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

IMG_0392.JPG

3. GSO LAWNEN4CER

from GSO NC

They were talking about the last guy mowed it for 45.00 then the husband says another guy mowed it for 30.00 now they need to talk it over to discuss paying the bill.

4. GSO LAWNEN4CER

from GSO NC

The solution I came up with is to allow them to pay half of the bill,then in two weeks pay the remaining balance. Or invoice them two bills for $23.00 and change.

5. GSO LAWNEN4CER

from GSO NC

This is just plain stupid over $17.50. If 17.50 is gonna break you, then your already broke.

knox gsl likes this.
  6. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Bronze Member

You explained calmly how you based your price on what they said and how it is overgrown and actually much bigger right?

It still probably wasn't a good deal for you if it's a one time cut, maybe 2 hours invested total?

Seems like a big problem with giving quotes based on what the customer says. Might have to take what you can get and never go back there and just take the $17.50 loss.

grassmonkey0311 and marcusmac99 like this.
  7. JWallace115

JWallace115 LawnSite Member

While $17.50 itself isn't a lot, it's almost a 44% increase over the agreed upon price. Really depends How your initial conversation with the customer went. Where they aware there could be a price increase based on what you saw when you got to the property?

8. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

Welcome to Florida customers; a lot think lawn care is an entitlement that should cost next to nothing. And they'll have 1000 reasons why they can't pay your price. Surprised she didn't tell you they're on a fixed income.

9. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

So you bid 40 then charged 57.50 with out getting it approved, now you dont understand why they are upset?

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Well they thought it was going to be $40
    Is there a clause to support the $17.50 for like "anything over x size is y additional sign here to acknowledge?"

Otherwise people think 40 one size fits all

13Razorbackfan likes this.