• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Customer Survey RESULTS

Rayholio

LawnSite Bronze Member
Well guys.. thought I'd share my cutomer survey results with you.. I'll spare you any gloating.. My customers are indeed very happy.. and I'll spare you those questions... but I thought that some of you might like to hear about some customer trends, and perhaps share some of your own observations...

'Would you Recommend GreenScape to a Friend'
Over half of the customers said "I allready have" Think about this.. customers in our industry are talking to each other.. 50% of respondants.. There's a reason referrals are the #1 best source for new clients..

"Do you Believe GreenScape is more enviormentally Consious than similar companys?" About HALF of respondants did not answer the question, or responded with a written in "I don't know" or "?" It tells me people don't have a basis for 'enviormentally conscious'.. There is no benchmark for enviormentalism that is apparant to the customer.. for the record, the other half ALL answered 'yes' or 'about the same'

"Do Enviormental Concerns effect your lawn care purchasing decisions?"
about 30% said yes.. that's UP by a lot from the year before last, when I only had one survey returned that said 'yes'.. about 20% said 'sometimes' and the rest answered with 'rarely' or 'no' There is a definate trend here.. but without any definition of 'enviormentally conscious'... does it mean anything?

"Is it important for you to buy lawn care services from a local company?"
Overwhelming.. YES! about 85%... Guys.. Gear your marketing to push the 'we're local.. they're not!' angle if it's available.

"Would you be interested in a pet waste removal service?" For those thinking of expanding.. the answer was 100% "NO"

"Would you be interested in paying by credit card, or bank draft?"
No.. 85%... Don't waste your money.. the 15% that hate to pay by check won't cancel for that reason..

So.. I thought it was a little interesting.. If you guys sent out surveys.. I'd be intertested to hear what the trends are in your neck of the woods...

Jason Rose

LawnSite Fanatic
Good post and nice to hear you got good feedback! I'm kinda suprised about the pet waste disposal deal, there's actually a guy here, in HIGH demand, that does just that. I recommend him to a number of my customers that don't or won't cclean up after their dog themselves.

I like the local aspect as well. We have an amazing amount of local guys here aready and it always suprises me when I see some outfit working here from 20, 30, or 40 miles away... My thought, they couldn't find someone local??? Local service is always going to be more in tune with the local lawns, and is also much more available for other services or meetings.

The environmental aspect dosn't suprise me. Most people just want the lawn mowed and that it's done well and for a resonable price. That you do it with propane powered mowers, or biodiesel, they could care less.

And I too have NEVER had a demand for credit card payment by a residential customer, and only ONCE from a commercial that wanted an estimate. They said it was the only way they paid and that was their first question, "do you take credit cards?"

You don't have to share what your results were, but what were your "service" questions?

I'd like to send out a survey like this, but I don't believe I'd get much of a return on them. Most people just don't care to be bothered by stuff like that and will just toss it or set it aside. How many did you get returned versus how many you sent out?

GravelyGuy

LawnSite Silver Member
Interesting to hear the results of the credit card payment. Do you care to share how many people returned the survey?

rcreech

Sponsor
VERY good post!

Awesome info.

I have always wanted to send out a survey and never have.

How did you do it? Did you leave with an invoice or just mail it out?

Thanks,
RC

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
Every year Scott's does a survey about lawn care expectations. I don't know the specifics of how they go about it other than the survey is extensive and expensive. For years on end the top 3 concerns were:
  1. Price
  2. Results
  3. Safety
Then about 8 years ago the results changed to:
  1. Safety
  2. results
  3. Price
Scott's responded and partnered quietly with a company that added biologically active materials to Scott's products. They have since put out an organic line of fert and promote better cultural practices in lawn care.

I consider Scott's to be a marketing company rather than a lawn care provider or an environmentally concerned corporation. They are in it for the money and are astute business people. They are spending a great deal of money to promote themselves as being protectors of the environment.

I would suggest that a company that is factor in dominating lawn care products knows what it is doing. In addition to the science that is unfolding in new ways to provide safer lawn care, IMHO it's pretty obvious which direction the industry is headed.

OP
Rayholio

Rayholio

LawnSite Bronze Member
Thanks for the feedback.. We send out the survey with our pre-pays.. We're still recieving one every now and again, but the response has been about 15% so far.. definately not a lot.. but it's enough to establish some definate trends..

My quality control questions were:
Does GreenScape meet your lawn care needs?
Is GreenScapes Customer Service Satisfactory?
How is weed Control with GreenScape?
How is Lawn Color with GreenScape?
How is billing and Invoicing with GreenScape?
Do you feel that your lawn is healthy?
Does GreenScape provide enough communication on your lawn and its needs?
and of course a large section for ANY suggestions or comments.. which got used..

They all came out pretty good.. one thing that was suprising is that we had VERY good weed control last year, and ALL answered 'good' instead of 'perfect'... same with lawn color... I think it's true that it's always greener on the OTHER side of the fence.. and least that's how it's percieved.

We only had one customer that marked the lowest on any of my quality control questions.. but he still felt that we had improved his lawn, and wanted to try it for another year... This survey is invaluable because without it, I never would have known that he was having an issue.

Phast.. I don't doubt that.. but that's why those big national companies have a hard time.. They can't look at my area and see that it has different customer mentality than say california... They have to rate the nation as a whole.. and the largest concentrations of customers (survey skewing) are in the smallest geographical areas.

rcreech

Sponsor
I just wonder if you wouldn't get a better response if it was anonymous?

If a person is sending a survey back that is tied to them (their name) they may not be as honest or as brutal as they want to be.

If I were to do a survey I would give them a self addressed envelope and not have them put their name on it unless they wanted to.

Just my thinking!

Dunno!

OP
Rayholio

Rayholio

LawnSite Bronze Member
They have the option to leave them anonymous.. I don't print their name anywhere on it.. it's actually their choice to put their name down, and the survey says not to, if they wish to remain anonymous..

Not one sent it in without signing it..

I just honestly think that the people who don't send it in.. most of them anyhow don't want to mess with it.. I'm just their lawn service.. not the hospital.. why should they spend a second more on me that it takes to write a check?

We're sorta moving into an era of 'less talk, more rock'... People don't want to 'communicate'.. they want to be served.. like royalty :) Just do it!

rcreech

Sponsor
They have the option to leave them anonymous.. I don't print their name anywhere on it.. it's actually their choice to put their name down, and the survey says not to, if they wish to remain anonymous..

Not one sent it in without signing it..

I just honestly think that the people who don't send it in.. most of them anyhow don't want to mess with it.. I'm just their lawn service.. not the hospital.. why should they spend a second more on me that it takes to write a check?

We're sorta moving into an era of 'less talk, more rock'... People don't want to 'communicate'.. they want to be served.. like royalty :) Just do it!
Very true!

I will see a customer out or see them somewhere and say "Hey, how is your lawn look'n" and they really don't know and just way it looks great or looks fine.

NOW, don't ask them how their lawn looks in July when it hasn't rained in two months! :laugh:

Just keep it green and the weeds out and do good quality work.

It really is that simple isn't it?