1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Customer Telling What They Are Going To Pay Me

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by landscapetastic, Aug 1, 2012.

1. landscapetastic

landscapetastic LawnSite Member
    from ny

A customer the other day wants a estimate for weeding. I say $200 to weed all beds of front about 6 of them not large at all and not many weeds. They said well thats to expensive. They said I am going to pay you per hour . I said no way, I do not per hour , but job. Then they said well I will pay you $150 if you do a good job, if not $100. I said no way. Why do some people treat me like there lawn boy, not a company with overhead ? Telling me what they are going to pay me, rather then me? The guy got angry and I walked away.

2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I had a 32 yard mulch job and 10 Leland cypress to plant. Sent estimate for 3000. Wide open beds but they were horribly maintained.

Customer emails me back says that's way to high and hell pay xxxx. Ended up doing it for 2100. Biggest mistake I made
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. whiffyspark

Had another customer with $500 in mulch and 14 bar berrys, and 6 spruces.

Gave him price he said okay no problem. We get everything done but the shrub trimming. He gives me a check for $500 and says we no longer need your service.

Still haven't recovered from that one.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. clydebusa

clydebusa Inactive

Contracts!

5. whiffyspark

I had contracts of course. He just didn't care
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. whiffyspark

I have another guy that I'm considering a lein. He owes me thousands.

Guy that paid $500 is a big lawyer down here. Wasn't worth it to me
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. clydebusa

clydebusa Inactive

He knew that, that is why he did it. I would take him to court. Small claims is no big deal.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know why the OP thinks this strange. A business relationship only happens when the two parties agree on the work to be done, and the price. Either side can make the proposal. Yes, usually, we provide a quotation, and the customer chooses whether or not to execute the proposal. In this case, the customer advanced a proposal, and it was your choice to execute the proposal. You chose not to agree to his terms, and therefore, the business relationship was not consummated.

The OP sounded miffed by what was being done. There was no reason to be miffed. You advanced one set of T & C, the other side advanced another set of T & C. Unless there is a negotiated settlement that both parties agree, then the issue is dead. So what? It happens every day, in every business.

9. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not prejudiced, but I do find people from India and that area tend to argue and barter alot.

They sign a contract with a stipulated price and then after the work is completed, you are asked many times to; give them a deal.

I have experienced that many people from Hong Kong that now live here, will call and they do not say Hello. Their first words are: Give Me A Deal. (Seriously)

So, one part of the world pressures for a deal after the work is done and another area wants a deal to begin with.

It happens so often. I just laugh and tell them I have already given them a deal. If I go any lower I will lose money.

As for your price for weeding....taking into account what my hourly payroll and overhead costs are, I could not afford to have an employee on your potential clients property for the entire day at that price. Eight hours would cost me almost $250, plus we have twelve percent tax on top of that. I would also have to add a dump fee.

If some-one phones and I can see that they either do not want to pay, or they can not afford to pay....I ask them to find a contractor from the newspaper....but I warn them that the paper is full of cheaper guys who in many cases have No Insurance, and No Workers Compensation.
    You get what you pay for.:canadaflag:

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Are the Jamaican Indian (middle eastern)?

If so this is how they roll...

When a customer tells me what they will pay after I've given them an estimate I walk away...
    Posted via Mobile Device