Customer thinks we scratched her car

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by spitfire3416, Aug 18, 2019.

1. spitfire3416

spitfire3416 LawnSite Senior Member

A customer of mine just called and left a voicemail saying she thinks one of my employees scratched her car because “it’s in a weird spot and that we cut her lawn on Tuesday and she noticed it on Friday.” She also goes on to say that she wishes I would have told her. Huh? First of all I don’t even know how her reasoning as to why she thinks we scratched her car makes any sense and also thinks that I knew this happened. What do you say to customer in this situation?

2. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

I would follow up with the employee, along with the time that it happened.

And then follow up with the customer,
    Be sure to take some pictures and measurements in case you do submit it to insurance.

And then make your determination you may lose a client, but that’s usually better than losing an employee.

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Dump her. No telling who scratched her auto. She should not be accusing your company did it with no evidence.

4. weeze

weeze Banned

Hold on there EL Paso! ...now go on and fetch me my legs. if you really love this girl as much as you say you do...just tell her good bye and good luck.

-the big dig

jlbf0786 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    spitfire3416

spitfire3416 LawnSite Senior Member

It really does blow my mind. Only problem is that I have 4 other houses all right next to her and so I don’t want to be argumentative with her and potentially lose the other neighbors over it. That seems to always happen whenever I have a problem customer that I drop, the neighbor follows shortly after.

6. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

If she's reasonable I would meet with her
    Maybe someone doored her or a shopping carriage?

Charles and Cam15 like this.
  7. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Just be very responsive and kind in responding in person. Is the allegation a mower scratched it? Take the mower that is used with you to compare. Or if it was allegedly a blower or something take that. Compare and take pictures.
    Talk a little about what's going on around the community, town events, etc.
    Then kindly explain why it wasn't your crew and you're sorry to see her car has a scratch from "something ".
    And just leave it at that, get out of there before she says anything else.

8. wjjones

wjjones LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent advice.

sjessen likes this.
  9. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Can’t be a doormat just because you work for the neighbors. They probably know she’s an idiot more than you.

10. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

We had a guy say we killed his grass with our trailer gate, I asked him where, show me. Well that was a couple of weeks ago it's ok now. Ya right, idiot.