Customer thinks we scratched her car

spitfire3416

LawnSite Senior Member
A customer of mine just called and left a voicemail saying she thinks one of my employees scratched her car because “it’s in a weird spot and that we cut her lawn on Tuesday and she noticed it on Friday.” She also goes on to say that she wishes I would have told her. Huh? First of all I don’t even know how her reasoning as to why she thinks we scratched her car makes any sense and also thinks that I knew this happened. What do you say to customer in this situation?

OP
S

spitfire3416

LawnSite Senior Member
Dump her. No telling who scratched her auto. She should not be accusing your company did it with no evidence.
It really does blow my mind. Only problem is that I have 4 other houses all right next to her and so I don’t want to be argumentative with her and potentially lose the other neighbors over it. That seems to always happen whenever I have a problem customer that I drop, the neighbor follows shortly after.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
It really does blow my mind. Only problem is that I have 4 other houses all right next to her and so I don’t want to be argumentative with her and potentially lose the other neighbors over it. That seems to always happen whenever I have a problem customer that I drop, the neighbor follows shortly after.
If she's reasonable I would meet with her
Maybe someone doored her or a shopping carriage?

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Just be very responsive and kind in responding in person. Is the allegation a mower scratched it? Take the mower that is used with you to compare. Or if it was allegedly a blower or something take that. Compare and take pictures.
Talk a little about what's going on around the community, town events, etc.
Then kindly explain why it wasn't your crew and you're sorry to see her car has a scratch from "something ".
And just leave it at that, get out of there before she says anything else.

wjjones

LawnSite Senior Member
I would follow up with the employee, along with the time that it happened.

And then follow up with the customer,
Be sure to take some pictures and measurements in case you do submit it to insurance.

And then make your determination you may lose a client, but that’s usually better than losing an employee.
Excellent advice.