customer wants aeration and dethatching

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Jake the grass guy, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Senior Member

Got a call today from a customer who wants aeration and dethatching. I havent physically been to the yard yet. Wondering if you guys reccomend dethatching then aeration and if i can do both in one trip? or do i need to wait? i am not overseeding or doing any top soil. Let me know what you guys think. also any bidding info on the dethatching would be helpful as well. I know from the location that the lot is flat and not hilly. renting the machine for 63$. thanks!

2. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Fanatic

Dethatch you gotta pick up and bag and yes could do it all in one day. How big is yard

3. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

Dethach first mow it aerate it but make sure you can pull a good plug and its not to dry or they are paying for nothing if you can't pull good plug you may have to set it up to do later when you get moisture or they can water before aerating so you can do them a good aeration job

sjessen likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Senior Member

Approximately 0.25 acres I’m renting an aerater for the day and have 4 other yards I’m hitting as well as overseeding so what I’ll probably do since I have 1 dethatch job is see if any of my other customers would like dethatch as well and upsell. Just wasn’t sure if it made since to do it all st the same time!

5. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

For sure if you can do it that would be the thing to do good luck hope it all works out for you

sjessen and Jake the grass guy like this.
  6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

You can do both at the same time

Aeration leaves soil cores
    Do the thatch first
    Then aerate

7. Land1

Land1 LawnSite Member

What's the point of doing both services at the same time. Wouldn't one or the other be sufficient?

I always push clients towards aeration. Much easier to perform and if done on a regular basis I do not feel detaching is necessary.

sjessen likes this.
  8. TPendagast

Male

No
    Aeration relieves compaction
    Dethatching cleans up the surface build up of dead plant material which can commonly choke out some grass species.
    There are plenty of neglected lawns that can benefit from both.
    It all depends on what’s there to service then you arrive and what end results the client wants to pay for.

Koehn's Lawn Service likes this.
  9. Land1

Land1 LawnSite Member

Aeration also reduces the thatch layer allowing water and fertilizer better access to the root system.

Dethatching completely removes the thatch layer. While I can see lawns that have been neglected for many years needing both, I think in most cases one or the other services is fine. If you aerate on a regular basis I do not see the need for dethatching.

10. TPendagast

Male

It really depends on the lawn
    How it’s fertilized
    How it’s maintained
    Who’s maintaining it

Aerating relieves very little thatch per sq ft

I’ve also seen lawns that never need aerating and just get a de thatching in the spring