Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
...how long do i wait before taking some sort of action? what action can i take? or do i just have to eat it?
How much does the customer owe ? if hes only behind one week - talk to him, i suspend any account once they are 2 weeks behind. if you let them get farther behind then that its at your own risk.. but generally i would say if he owe less then $100 i would just drop and him and probably eat it. it will cost you more then that trying to fight it between legal costs and time missed from work. but if you do want to fight it you'll have to go through small claims court which will take time and money lost from missing work, or you can file a lien against his property but that ONLY works if he trys to sell it otherwise a lien is useless.

·
Registered
367 Posts
just go repo his yard--or even better-spray roundup with the letters stating "I don't pay my bills" in his lawn!! That oughta teach 'em!
if you did this the customer could turn around and sue you for Vandalism and destruction of property, YOU could also lose your lincense for doing weed treatment and fertilising, so i think i would definitely Avoid doing this.

·
Registered
302 Posts
just go repo his yard--or even better-spray roundup with the letters stating "I don't pay my bills" in his lawn!! That oughta teach 'em!
gee I guess no one would know who did that? Again what is it with this site and round up to pay someone back. If you want to mark someone lawn use bleach. It is a federal offence to use round up in a manner that is inconsistant with its intended use. Not worth the risk imo, dont believe me read the back of the round up container.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
she owes 455 for a bed cleaning billed on 6/7...ived called a bunch of times n she insists that she has told her husband (who pays all the bills and is abroad)...its obvious from the horses and stables and suvs that they have the money...just dont know how to approach the situation...thanks for all your help

·
Registered
774 Posts
Send them a final bill stating that if you don't recieve payment in 10 days you will file a claim in small claims court, and follow through with it. I've done it before, it's very simple and if you did the work properly you will win. ps i've found that people with horses are very tight with money.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
If you do end up going to small claims court over this make sure that you have all the paperwork that would say that you did this. Make sure that you have the date that you did the job. If you can't prove that you did the job then it is just a bunch of hear-say. Otherwise just keep calling her, and be persistant, don't call one day and then wait a couple weeks to call her again. Best of luck!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just turn them over to the magistrate, works every time, or you can also put an add in the paper, explaining you situation, just let them know, it will embarrass the heck out of them.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Go to the Clerk of the Court and fill out a Warrant In Debt detailing how much they owe and for what. You'll need to prepare a Bill of Particulars which details the dates of service, the nature of the service, and any supporting information you feel is pertinent like past bills which were paid, the contract for service, etc...... What you want to end up with is a simple set of documents which shows that you had a contract (Even verbal), that you provided the agreed services, and that you were not paid as agreed.
The judge needs to be able to make quick sense of it, so don't include any lengthy narratives or stories about other people they may have screwed. Make 5 copies of this package, organize them logically in new folders, and have them with you when you go to court. The court gets a copy, the defendant gets a copy, and if you both have lawyers, they should get copies. Keep the original for your records, and use the last copy for notes and such.
It takes a while, but it's part of what makes America great, so take advantage of it.
Remember, it is against the law to threaten someone with taking them to court, so just do it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Go to the Clerk of the Court and fill out a Warrant In Debt detailing how much they owe and for what. You'll need to prepare a Bill of Particulars which details the dates of service, the nature of the service, and any supporting information you feel is pertinent like past bills which were paid, the contract for service, etc...... What you want to end up with is a simple set of documents which shows that you had a contract (Even verbal), that you provided the agreed services, and that you were not paid as agreed.
The judge needs to be able to make quick sense of it, so don't include any lengthy narratives or stories about other people they may have screwed. Make 5 copies of this package, organize them logically in new folders, and have them with you when you go to court. The court gets a copy, the defendant gets a copy, and if you both have lawyers, they should get copies. Keep the original for your records, and use the last copy for notes and such.
It takes a while, but it's part of what makes America great, so take advantage of it.
Remember, it is against the law to threaten someone with taking them to court, so just do it.
NICE!!! +1

·
Registered
428 Posts
You can't say "You better pay me-or I'm gonna sue you!" Just sue them-don't threaten them; You can, however, say "If I don't receive payment, I'm gonna persue my other options." That usually either pisses themoff or gets action!

·
Registered
302 Posts
It would be its intended use--to kill grass!! lol

AGAIN-JOKING!!!
Actually I have thought about doing a little midnight landscaping for deadbeats and my thoughts involved round up. I was so pizzed at this pita I was pretty close to doing it and it was a buddy lco that showed me the federal offence clause on the round up. Anyways I dont believe bleach has that clause. I certainly understand wanting to pay back someone who rips you off. I have read a lot of posts about this issue and round up always comes up. I have been burned a few times and have never done a pay back. If I ever did a pay back it sure wouldnt involve round up. I think If I was to do a payback I would cut the wiring from the timer to the sprinkler valve and cut it so it looked like it broke. That would be real hard to prove it was done intentionally most custs wouldn't notice till the lawn started browning out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It is a federal offense to use round up in a manner that is inconsistent with its intended use. Not worth the risk imo, don't believe me read the back of the round up container.
inconsistent with its intended use means using roundup on things other than to kill grass and weeds. so if you sprayed lettering on someones lawn :laugh: you would still be consistent with its intended use:laugh::laugh:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.