Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you had a customer, who was a pain in the butt in the past, and canceled you, would you take them back? had a client about 4 yrs ago. real pain in my butt for various reasons. she cancelled service because, thursday was her day. it rained thurs, fri, sat, and sunday. she called monday and said are you comming? i said no, because we are scheduled there in 3 days anyway. she demanded we come anyway. i explained that if we come today(monday) we are still comming back on her regular day(thursday), she said no way. ended up cancelling. well, she has since been through about 6 services, unable to keep any of them for various reasons(all her fault). so she calls me this morning, and i answer, "good morning....." she says, "hi, this is mrs. numbnuts, can i get a quote for lawn service." i say, "nope, we are not interested in servicing your property, CLICK!." she calls back, "i think we got disconnected." i said, " no, WE didn't, YOU did. like i said, we have dealt with you before, and are not interested, CLICK." so, what's your policy, take them back or blow them off?
"

·
Registered
73 Posts
If they are willing to agree to our stated policies, which is on the contract aka "service agreement", in our servicing area, and willing to pay our quoted price. Since you have a history with them, you both have the advantage of expectations. Make sure they are discussed and cleared in advance.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Bobby if your mother in-law decided to move away, after a few months would you go move her back if she called. :D

If you have a PITA leave your life, there isn't any amount of money that would make it worth while to let them back in.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
Mac- I'm not rich yet, but I value my remaining hair and ulcer free stomach.Let 'em go and let them be someone else's problem.No amount of extra money is going to guarantee a problem free return of past PITAS..or current ones!

·
Registered
911 Posts
I steer clear of clients that burn through service providers - they are next to impossible to please which is exactly why they are on their 12th company. Usually older clients that have nothing better to do than stare at their landscape all day long wondering why you don't trim their f***ing wisteria every single time you stop by.

·
Registered
911 Posts
This just happened to me, now I get a chance to vent! Did a maintenance bid for an old gal last season. Even went as far as to make sure her irrigation system wasn't working (all I had to do was open a valve) and she still went with another company. Then she ends up calling me a few weeks ago saying she wasn't happy with her decision and NOW wants to give us a try. This lady had a list of 20 lco's she called for bids when I talked to her last season. Too bad for her she made the wrong decision last year (yet again) but it appears that it worked out to my advantage. I'd rather she be someone else's headache.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Very similar answer to your other post. I would lay out how you want her to pay, and what services will be provided. Tell her she has to pay up front, and any other things you want to keep the headaches low. This way, you didn't just turn her away, you gave her an option, and if she doesn't want it, then so be it.
So don't lock the door on her, just put a 800 pound bear behind it, and if she wants to come in, she can!:p

·
Registered
911 Posts
Originally posted by twins_lawn_care
Very similar answer to your other post. I would lay out how you want her to pay, and what services will be provided. Tell her she has to pay up front, and any other things you want to keep the headaches low. This way, you didn't just turn her away, you gave her an option, and if she doesn't want it, then so be it.
So don't lock the door on her, just put a 800 pound bear behind it, and if she wants to come in, she can!:p
Good point, one needs to control the situation on not let it control you.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm sitting here thinking of the PITA customers that I have had in the past. NO, I would not take them back. Once a pain, always a pain.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
The simple fact that she has been through 6 other LCO's since you bobby should be your clue in figuring this one out. You think she has gotten any better or easier to work for? NOT!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Originally posted by bobbygedd
she says, "hi, this is mrs. numbnuts, can i get a quote for lawn service." i say, "nope, we are not interested in servicing your property, CLICK!." she calls back, "i think we got disconnected." i said, " no, WE didn't, YOU did. like i said, we have dealt with you before, and are not interested, CLICK." "
I bet that felt good!
You should have stayed on the line though, it would have been more fun.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think you have already answered you own question when you wisely hung up on her. If it looks like a headache, sounds like a headache, acts like a headache...It's a headache! Just my two cents.

If I had a customer like this in the future I would be willing to renegotiate as long as a contract was involved with a rain day policy included, and the monetary compensation was greatly increased.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.