Customers who like liquid fertilizers

DLCS

LawnSite Platinum Member
Last year was my first year doing applications. I use granular fertilizers and liquid weed control. most of my customers have 1/2 acre lawns and larger. I use a T-3000 on just about every property. My question is mainly for use guys who run only ride ons be it a T or z spray, do you ever have a hard time competing with the guys that are using all liquid fertilizer through a hose? In my area there is a couple of companies that drag a hose on every lawn and some customers are hell bent on the liquid fertilizer. Now the lawns that i have mowed for years, they all trusted me to switch to my granular program and not oen is unhappy after this season. But soem new customers just do not want to switch from the tru Green style applications. Do you guys who run granular only have the same problem?

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
As long as you understand what you are doing and are using a quality product you should be able to produce good results with granular. I emphasize "understand" because at one point I had no idea about the different components in fert until I researched and studied. Still feel there is always more to learn.
The main thing is if you can produce that will do the talking & convincing.

fireman gus

LawnSite Senior Member
Very few in our area use liquid fertilizer. I think because it just is not advertised. We used liquid fertilizer when we sprayed MSMA but granular is what our clientele perfers for thier Fertilizer apps.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
But you are using liquid weed control, correct? Then you should emphasize the longer-lasting qualities of granular fert and the greater effectiveness of the liquid herbicide. In my opinion--a granular fert followed by a liquid weed control is the highest standard of quality.
T-3000 is almost the same. You can get into a few tight spots with a hose that you cannot reach with a machine.

phillie

LawnSite Senior Member
I find it pretty easy to get customers to switch to granular. I only have a push spreader and 200 gallon tank so I cant really comment on ride ons. Most of my customers come from Trugreen, they even pay me more. At first they are skeptical of paying a higher price but once they see the difference in quality they are satisfied for the most part. I tell them I could easily compete on price with the companies that use liquid fertilizers but I wont lower my standards of quality just to get more customers. They usually bite every time.

nightshutter

LawnSite Senior Member
In my opinion--a granular fert followed by a liquid weed control is the highest standard of quality.
Absolutely! Me personally, I get great results doing it this way. The lawn will stay green longer with granular. In turn your customers will be happier.

CHARLES CUE

LawnSite Gold Member
Absolutely! Me personally, I get great results doing it this way. The lawn will stay green longer with granular. In turn your customers will be happier.
I disagree there are liquid fert that are top notch and will do just as good a job as a granular and last just as long.

Charles Cue

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Refer all ferts to two different guys, one granular and one liquid. The granular guy has the best looking lawn, but not by much. The liquid guy has the best weed and crabgrass control. To be fair, the granular guy does more apps in his program.

nightshutter

LawnSite Senior Member
I disagree there are liquid fert that are top notch and will do just as good a job as a granular and last just as long.

Charles Cue
I understand. I was informed earlier today that of slow release liquid fert from this company I know. Might have to check it out in the spring. Im just saying that for me it is the ideal way. Thats just me. My lawns look great. Weeds are taken care of with liquid. Not trying to get more people to do it this way.

phillie

LawnSite Senior Member
Refer all ferts to two different guys, one granular and one liquid. The granular guy has the best looking lawn, but not by much. The liquid guy has the best weed and crabgrass control. To be fair, the granular guy does more apps in his program.
How does what type of fert you use effect weed control or pre-em results? Also, I would like to point out that until recently liquid ferts did not utilize slow release and didn't last as long as they do now. I don't personally know anybody that uses only liquid fert. I am not trying to be rude, I just don't understand your post.