Customers who want lawn cut closer to the weekend

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Johnny79, May 14, 2019.

1. Johnny79

Johnny79 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

2 of my customers asked to move there cutting to the end of the week. I've had a set schedule for years and never change it. I dont get many people who ask me to do this but once in a while theres always someone. To me I like everything how I have it. If I start rotating days it will become a major pita for me. I heard of some company's that always rotate there cutting days meaning yearly. If they cut it on Monday this year they move it to Tuesday the following year. Then Wednesday then Thursday.
    I understand that and that is great but to me it becomes a pita.

What do you guys think?

2. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

i think that if they want to have it moved to friday, that you should up charge it.. as in closer to the weekend, the more premium the cost.. so friday is a premium day.

3. OP
    OP
    Johnny79

Johnny79 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

That's a good idea

Doc8406 likes this.
  4. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

I just tell them I try not to mow Fridays - cuz of it rains that means mowing on Saturday (which of course a lot of ppl Also don’t like) . I can understand not wanting Monday or Tuesday. But beyond that no I don’t really give a choice or guarantee a certain day. Mowing routes are based on efficiency- not bouncing around just to accommodate a cpl picky customers.

5. OP
    OP
    Johnny79

Johnny79 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

That's how I do.

6. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

That's why the suggestion for the upcharge.. i have had one customer ask for a friday cut.. when i explained to him that fridays are reserved for churches and make up and if he truly wanted a friday cut, then i would have to upcharge the service to accommodate him, he said that thursday would be fine

sjessen and Cam15 like this.
  7. Cjames808

Cjames808 LawnSite Member

We don’t guarantee any day but usually mow Thursday and Friday. If it rains Saturday or Monday.

Cam15 likes this.
  8. flashsmith

flashsmith LawnSite Member

When a potential customer calls and wants a certain day.. I tell them when I'm in their area. If that doesn't work then I turn it down. Prices are already rock bottom so I focus on time and expenses heavily. Another way I look at it though is if I wanted to be drug around all day I would close up and go get a job. My business my rules..

Johnny79, iand, Jeff@diyokc and 2 others like this.
  9. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

That is why the guy agreed to thurs instead, his town is my route on that day.. we have three cities in my area, i go to different ones on certain days.

Jeff@diyokc, Cam15 and JLSLLC like this.
  10. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

We pretty much do it the same way. We don't guarantee days or times and don't mow on Friday's.