1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cut it down or let it grow?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by justgeorge, Mar 24, 2005.

1. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

Hi,
    I'm a lawn care and irrigation guy, not a landscape guy. I'm doing a spring cleanup and I have a question on a couple of plants whether they should be cut down each year or let them grow. Attached are two pictures. I suspect the first one should be let grow and the second one should be cut down. Thanks!

IMGP0068x.jpg

IMGP0069x.jpg

2. Fishin LCO

Fishin LCO LawnSite Member
    from NC

I think the sencond one is Fountain Grass a type of ornamental grass and should be could back every year early spring/late winter. The first one I have no idea on.

3. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

The first one is called monkey grass or mondo grass. It should be cut back to about 3 or 4 inches each spring.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Liriope and ornamental grasses can all be cut back.

5. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

March is the season for cutting the grass back

:)

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes they should have been cut back awhile ago.But do it nows ok.take a weedwacker or gas hedge trimmer to the big ones and cut back to about 1' tall.wack the other back to 3" or less.

7. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks everybody for the replies, I'll cut them back today.

George