Cut it shorter..... ya right.

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
I 'had' two lawns that wanted 3.5" instead of the 4" cut everyone else receives. Unbeknownst to them, I moved them both up to 4" this week. Will see if they even notice? Will add we're experiencing a dry/hot stretch for the last week and into next week at least...so, I'm confident their lawns will endure this stressful duration a bit better.

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
LOL!

I did that once.
"OK, I'll drop it a little more next time."
Kept it the same.
Never said a word.

I have totally done this too! I am not sure where a lot of you guys live but I refuse to cut anything shorter than 3.00". When customers ask for their property "short" I usually cut it at 3.50" or even 3.75". They will usually compliment how good it looks rather than tell me to drop it down shorter.

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
"What height do you cut at?" I get asked.

"D... sometimes C. Mostly D - whatever height that is."

LOL
I don't remember what Toro assigns to each letter (push mowers) - I just mow it at whatever is best for conditions on that particular day.
If someone requests a specific height, they're getting whatever I set it at.

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
Highest I cut is 4.25 lowest I’ll cut is 3.5 maybe 3.25. Nobodies ever asked for under 3.25. Most don’t care at all. Only time j get complaints is when I cut high sometimes people will complain about having trouble walking through it

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
Highest I cut is 4.25 lowest I’ll cut is 3.5 maybe 3.25. Nobodies ever asked for under 3.25. Most don’t care at all. Only time j get complaints is when I cut high sometimes people will complain about having trouble walking through it

Same here. The highest I have ever cut a maintained yard is 4.25 as well. I used to cut grass so short and man was it a mistake. Raising the deck up is SO MUCH BETTER. I am not sure what it is like for you guys but I miss so many surface roots, stumps, rocks and even sticks that I do not feel like picking up lol.

Anyway yeah same thing here, I have had people complain about it not being short enough if they are active in that area. I have never had a complaint when it is at 3.50" or 3.75" though.

Not my words as I paraphrase and quote the unknown author here.

Would you suggest the dentist not use so much novacane, would you tell your tire guy how to replace your tires, would you ask the fireman to try and use a bit less water? The stop telling me how to maintain your yard.

My words next....

1. If it's that important to you to have your grass 1/2 inch shorter then perhaps you should do the mowing yourself.

2. If it's too tall in a week, cutting it shorter isn't the fix moron, having me mow every week is. See the end of #1.

Top Forums