Cut quality - Toro Z Master vs Exmark Laser Z

Pristine Lawn 1

LawnSite Member
I have an Exmark Laser Z HP with a 50” Triton deck and a Toro Z Master with a 52” deck. Both have 27hp engines (Exmark is a Kohler, Toro is a Kawasaki). Both have notched high lift blades. Both run full vac systems. I can’t figure out why the Exmark cuts so much cleaner than the Toro. Is there a certain way I should have the adjustable baffles on the Toro deck adjusted? It seems like it just doesn’t lift the grass up to cut it. It leaves a lot uncut and I have to go back over it. I almost feel like the blades on the Toro deck are tucked up inside a lot higher than they are on the Triton deck. I seem to have to set the deck down lower on the Toro to cut at the same height as the Exmark. The only thing I can think of is trying to at least adjust the baffles to see if I can get a better cut. Any suggestions? I pretty much bag 95% of my properties. The only time I side discharge is when I’m cutting large areas that I don’t need to catch.

07AC34FC-A6AA-4344-8842-54482238A5CA.jpeg

2AC25BCD-60C9-402C-9856-45F89F5E2594.jpeg

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Is the deck rake set properly on the Toro? Are both mowers actually cutting at the exact same height?

Any belt slippage on the Toro?

Other than this I have nothing.

OP
P

Pristine Lawn 1

LawnSite Member
Is the deck rake set properly on the Toro? Are both mowers actually cutting at the exact same height?

Any belt slippage on the Toro?

Other than this I have nothing.

Hmm I never thought about the deck rake. I’ve never adjusted that on either machine. What should it be? I would assume level? From eyeballing them they both look pretty level. I don’t think there’s any belt slippage. Seems to have good tension.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Hmm I never thought about the deck rake. I’ve never adjusted that on either machine. What should it be? I would assume level? From eyeballing them they both look pretty level. I don’t think there’s any belt slippage. Seems to have good tension.
On Exmark mowers .25” lower in front. Toro should be similar.

Do you have a height adjustment gauge? That will tell you what the rake is and the cutting heights.

Top Forums