Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 52" Super Z with the 25 Kaw. and I am having problems with the deck cloging up. When I cut thick wet grass ( we have had 30 out of 45 days with lots of rain here), the deck gets cloged up and grass acctualy says under the deck. When this happens the mower really bogs down and the cut quality is very poor. When you shut the blades off then it dumps a huge mound of clipings. I keep my blades sharp and scrape my deck when I change blades and I am using the high lits that came with the mower. It's almost like it has a mulch kit on it, which it doesn't.
I would ask my dealer, but the are out of business so I am hoping you guys can help me, which I know you will try. Thanks

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Yup, I've been in touch with Hustler about it. The grass clogs on the middle rear separator (some on the first) for the blades and keeps the grass from transferring from the first and second blade to the discharge blade. Not much we can do. It's just deck design, which was designed for better grass velocity and less blowout. Doubles actually make it worse because it cuts the grass finer and allows it to pack more. Hope it stop raining.....

·
Banned
1,847 Posts
so now that Hustler is aware of this problem, that i tried to explain earlier, are there any plans to change the deck design?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Originally posted by mowerconsultant
We are currently testing, and working on this issue.

Later
Pj
I've been in touch with brain and I may be using my deck to try a new design. Remember, Hustlers’ deck is a trade off. I’ve found it works better in dry grass than others, and yes, it lacks a bit in wet grass. Now if we’d only mow when we are supposed to (G).

·
Registered
393 Posts
It,s hard to do when the dew is on the grass till after 10.am
we head out at 6:30 so we can get home befor dark. It is fusterating when my 48 TTHP will out mow my super-z till it's dry.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Originally posted by excel25
It,s hard to do when the dew is on the grass till after 10.am
we head out at 6:30 so we can get home befor dark. It is fusterating when my 48 TTHP will out mow my super-z till it's dry.
Sorry to hear it's so bad. My Hustler WB's don't see that bad at all.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you guys going to offer a kit that will fix the problems or are you just going to fix the problem on machines that are coming out of the factory because I am about ready to get rid of my Super Z at a loss and buy a Ex-Mark. The problem was getting better because the rain slacked up some, but now the temps have droped and there is a lot of dew in the am. I am finding that my 44" gear drive, 5 year old, 12 1/2 Kaw., Toro walk behind is cutting better than my Super Z. GUYS I NEED HELP!!!! Any thing I can do to ( diff. blades, etc) PLEASE let me know. I need more than "We are currently testing, and working on this issue" Anything you can do to help would be much appericated.

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
We do 4 U,
I know your dealer closed up shop, so this makes it harder.
Is there a dealer that you are working with now ?
We need to get your unit into a dealer, so they can take a look at the unit and talk to our guys in service.
What zip code are you in ? are you close to Norfolk ? or Virginia Beach ?
We have a distributor in those areas and we would like to get your unit in there hands, so they can get this taken care of.
E-mail me @ [email protected], I will need your info you used when you bought your mower (name, address, phone #).

Thank you
Pj

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Hi PJ,

I'm close to buying a Super Z with a 60 inch deck here in Australia,
just waiting on the EFI Kohler to arrive...

Question is, this above deck issue....has it been fixed on the new models?

And on another thread I read about grass scortching, has this been fixed also on these new models?

Thanks,

Tony,
Australia.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Tonyr, I believe that the grass scorching was just on the mini Z's. I have not heard any complaints on the Super Z's.

Pj, if there is a way to fix this problem I am interested also. Just let me know what to do to make it better.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Hi Superman,

I was reading the thread at,
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=51102

I think I heard more about this on another forum also, Mini Z's are having this problem, but 2 owners of Super Z's on this one page here are talking about this grass burning with their machines.

Why this is so important to me is, I would of thought most midmounts would have the same problems as their engines are all close to the ground, I suspect it is the floor design the engine sits on....my toro has a partial tub like floor made from very thick metal 6 inches from the ground, never has burnt grass once.

Yeah, my concern is, being a dry country, Australia nowadays on the coast, the long grass jobs if this model could in any way be a danger as a fire hazard I need to know before handing over $24000, as another ride on contractor last week mowed a typical dry acreage not far fom me and a massive bush fire started through mower heat or spark, who knows, except the contractor got the blame.

Maybe Hustlers are made for lush green conditions where motor heat won't cause a fire, if this could be a risk I wish I could be informed oficially and told what Hustler intends doing about scortching grass as clients here aren't forgiving, if I left a burn mark on a lawn I'd be sacked and expected to repair the damaged area.

The picture Tim took of the damage done by his new Super Z is scary, look at it here
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=51102

I'm sure there was more said even at this forum, but it at least shows both models are damaging grass when parked hot.

As P.J says, don't park a hot mower on grass....in our currency these are expensive toys, and if the engine needs insulation so stop scortching and even fires this should be done before they release any more machines for distribution, and in the real world of contract mowing you do need to sometimes stop on grass to remove debis etc, can't ride the mower to concrete on a job, walk down the paddock, move debris, walk back to the house, appologise to the client, drive back and continue mowing.....this huge waste of time is to stop your new mower damaging client's grass, I think upmarket commercial machines should have covered all aspects of dangers that they could cause due to design.

I don't know what the solution is, but a mower should be able to park on grass without burning it.

Think of it this way, taking this to an extreme, if the mower starts a fire if you are mowing dry grass, moving or not, and not from contact with exhaust or parked in long dry grass touching hot parts of the machine, client's property gets damaged through fire, they sue my insurance company, who in turn target the dealer and Hustler.

If I was a senior employee, director etc I'd be thinking that this could be serious considering the amount of machines produced locally and exported everywhere, and what is the reason that only Hustlers are doing this and not other brands, I looked in several other forums and toro or excel are fine, yet wouldn't their engines be as close to the ground as Hustler's?

Good chance these senerios are far fetched, but maybe possible, enough doubt there to have a solution in place asap regardless.

Hustler, I'm not attacking your mowers, I'm still buying a Super Z when my preferred model arrives next month, I'd just feel more comfortable knowing the mower won't light a fire or kill grass as this would quickly stuff my business.

Interested to know what is happening about the damp grass cutting problem that you are looking into Hustler, when a fix is made, what happens to new owners before the fix is made, e.g will the decks be upgraded free?

All in all, I love the brand, look forward to hearing how these issues are solved when they are.

Take care all,

Tony,
Australia.
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I have 2 Walker 48" GHS mowers, 1 20 HP gas and 1 diesel. The gas Walker will leave a burn mark faster and bigger than my Supper Z. The Walker also sets closer to the ground than the Supper Z.

Gene

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Hi Gene,

I have a 25hp Walker as well, never had a problem with it burning grass. My Toro Z355 doesn't either...

Now I'm wandering whether it is the grass height?

I have been told you folk generally, well in many states have grasses that get mowed and kept around 4 inches high....so, if this is the case maybe those having burning problems are in these States and the grass almost touches the bottom of the engine plate?

Over here in Queensland, Australia lawns are mowed to 1.5 inches to 2 inches, more airflow under the engine should save me from the heat problem....

Am I on the right track Gene?

How high in general do you mow down to?

Thanks for your feedback, maybe this whole thing is about whether there is enough distance between the mowed grass and engine mount plate for air flow?

Let me know what you think please.

Kind Regards,

Tony,
Australia.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Originally posted by Tonyr
Interested to know what is happening about the damp grass cutting problem that you are looking into Hustler, when a fix is made, what happens to new owners before the fix is made, e.g will the decks be upgraded free?
Tony,

IMO the damp grass cutting problem, as it's been called, is not really a problem but just part of the advantage of the Hustler cut.
What I'm trying to say is, like a sport cars that handles great over 100mph, its ride on 30mph back roads suffer.
This is same scenario with a Hustler. They are known for a high discharge velocity and super deep deck, which yields no blowout while cutting, leaves, even with doubles. However, to achieve this, baffling is closed down to increase the air/grass speed.
Currently, I’ve been cutting and blowing lawns after the “Isabel” Hurricane, just by mowing in one direction with my Hustler and double blades. All my customers have been thrilled with the results, even though I’m increasing my hourly rate by $10.
Furthermore, they are those that own both Exmark and Super Z’s, and they offer the cuts are the same.
Funny, but a while back I was complaining my little Toro time cutter would leave a small trail of grass under the spindle driven vacuum blower, and “low and behold”, I find out my friend’s Exmark was doing the same thing.
I say these things not to defend Hustler, but I just can’t figure out why, when my Hustlers cut so well, how others find their WB cut quality poor. After all, since I cut grass to make money, I’d be really stupid not to own equipment that does a good job, regardless of how more or less it costs.
Pete

·
Registered
796 Posts
the grass scorching is definately not a grass length issue, but i do think its a kohler specific problen since others with the kaw, are not having the problems. i sure hope they can resolve this with me.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Thanks Pete!

good points, I thought it was a fault or something with a batch of decks, if it is a damp grass thing this won't worry me as the powerful discharge of finer clippings and neater cut than another major competitor is what convinced me this is what I need.

We here on the Queensland coast don't have a problem of wet grass mowing very often, it has forgotton to rain enough here LOL!

Something a bit different...?

I have started out with a Walker, now a Toro Z355, 48 inch deck, I own both, the walker is for sale, and I'm waiting on the new Hustler Super Z EFI 28 hp Kohler, 60 inch deck to arrive to OZ, now, my trailer is only 1445mm (4ft9") wide, so obviously I need either a car trailer or a small truck to get the width, my current trailer has a utility room at front with toilet and tool/chemicals section all paneled in and sign written, over in your world what is most popular cartage set up for ride on mowing businesses?

Trucks...trailers....interesting on what others have as a great set up. I know trailers are common by pics I've seen here, but with 4 x 4 towing a 4 - 5 m long trailer is quite long and parking can be a pain sometimes...

Thanks,

Kind Regards,

Tony,

Queensland
Australia.

·
Registered
55 Posts
imograss,
I, too, agree that the grass scorching problem is not a grass length issue.
Being I do not know about the exhaust situation of the other brand of engines, I can't answer whether the Kawasaki or any other manufacture of engines that are/may be mounted on any one particular Hustler frame are problem-free of this situation. But what I do know is that my Honda 24, on the Super Mini Z frame, has (used to…) the same sitting idle (with engine running) scorching effect on the grass.
mb

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Hi Tim,

this grass scortching is a serious concern for me too as mowing conditions here are usually very dry, only recently a ride on mower somehow started a big bush fire not too far away, now these kohler engines must have safeguards against excessive heat causing damage to grass below it when installed on a mower, hustler will or should modify the engine mounting or some other fix as fires sound like a possability when mowing dry grasses, I know the problem is when stopped, so far, but if the heat is this bad I can't help but think if mowing long dry grass slow there could be a safety issue, and I can't imagine a mower building company to say not to mow long dry grass for fire risks or don't stop on grass....it is a mower, a machine that cuts grass, it shouldn't have any excessive heat problems presenting possible fire or scortching of grasses, in my opinion.

Over here if a contractor burn't grass like in your picture on a client's property he would be made to repair it and I am sure would never get asked back, most jobs for one reason or another we need to stop for something, this situation/issue could actually damage your business....I wish hustler would announce what they intend to do sooner rather than later....

These Super Z's are amoungst the best on the market, it would be a shame to see these engines change that if hustler found modifications too costly.

Tony
Queensland
Australia

1 - 20 of 24 Posts