Cutting Corners... Literally!

Discussion in 'Sports Field Maintenance' started by Chris Wagner, May 18, 2006.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

would reinforcing the area with geo-grid help any.

supposedly that allows vehicles to be driven over it, but that may just be a load issue.

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I have a few area with the geo grid for emergency fire truck access. Not pretty turf. dries out faster and more prone to weeds...

3. OP
    OP
    Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

Any of the grid stuff in strictly high foot traffic areas? And, where you have it, is it irrigated?

4. MarcSmith

none in any high traffic areas. In fact I'll take some pictures af the one area that is irrigated, but still dries out quickly. Thankfully its not a really High vis area.

we had several high rise jobs at TGLC that had the same problems. there was not much we could really do... I think if you had Hightraffic areas, with this stuff it would not be any better, andmaybe worse...

5. OP
    OP
    Chris Wagner

Awesome info... I forget what website it was a while back, but I did look briefly into it. In fact, I think the promo material did have a fire truck on that area.

My high traffic corners are irrigated... which is good... but the winter foot traffic of kids going out to recess in the winter time with freezing / thawing conditions is just no match.

I am going to try widening the corners with some pavers this year. We'll see if they will just cut more in or if it is somewhat effective.

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

could you do a plant barrier. You know like a little hedgerow or something to make it less attractive. or do a path of pavers as opposed to paving in the entire corner?

I just hate the idea of more concrete.

7. MarcSmith

One of things I do in year round from time to time is set up snow fencing and some portable barricades to help direct foot and golf cart traffic away from areas prone to damage. But it looks like sh1t.

8. OP
    OP
    Chris Wagner

I tried a small landscape "scene" on the corners with mulch nearest the 90 degree corners. We plow our sidewalks in the winter time and a lot of the snow also ends up on the corners. Not too much we can do about that. Anyway, the weight on the evergreens wasn't good and they were pretty much asethetically destroyed the following spring. But I've been studying other schools and high traffic areas carefully.

Most interesting... the city of Chicago at Grant Park uses brick... but staggers the brick so there is grass in between the brick. So... from a short distance, it looks like the corners are just grass. Closer inspection reveals the brick. They are about at grade with the soil... probably slightly higher. Seemed effective.

Unfortunately, especially in the front of campus, orange fencing would probably not work well... too close to the church.

Maybe some pics will help?

9. MarcSmith

chris I lost track of time while I was digging in the archives for some gravesite locations at one of our cemtaries....I totaly forgot to take pics. I wont be back at work until monday(comp day #2 on friday for the hard work at commencement) so I'm playing golf...:)
    sorry...

10. OP
    OP
    Chris Wagner

Gotta love comp time! Have fun!!