Lawn Care Forum banner

Cutting dead weight: old equipment

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  zechstoker 
#1 ·
I have a question, and it's probably a dumb one. What do you guys do with old equipment that's collecting dust, and it doesn't sell when you put it on craigslist or ebay? I imagine this isn't a really common problem, but it's one I'm dealing with at the moment.
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
Hold onto it. Even If its something ill never use again I will try I sell it. If I can't sell it I will normally pull of the carb (never hurts to hold onto them for something else you may can use it for something else or for parts). The rest can go to the metal recycling center and I just wait till I have a truck load
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
You could always chop the machines up and sale it in parts on ebay. I know a guy that does this and sales literally every part of the machine after cleaning it up. This does take some time and you have to keep relisting. However, at some point, someone, somewhere, will be looking for what you need. He often makes double what the normal CL price would be.

#7 ·
If I can't sell it I give my old stuff to my dealer. Not sure what they do with them but good dealer karma is never a bad thing.

#9 ·
If I can't sell it I give my old stuff to my dealer. Not sure what they do with them but good dealer karma is never a bad thing.
He gives it to me....thanks. I just got a 21" snapper that a customer wouldn't approve the repair and left it at dealer. I spent about two hours and $10 and got a pretty good running walkbehind. I hang around the dealer ever week and get a lot of good stuff. I got a like new blower that had raw gas run in it and no warranty. I got about $150 of parts when I tore it down. It even had bearings and seals that were good.

#16 ·
One of the guys that my son-in-law knows has a whole family to feed on just 1 paycheck. We give him all of our old aluminum and yard equipment etc. He strips it down and sells it to the local recycler.
The guy on the receiving end of that sounds like my dad when I was a youngster. He was working as a mechanic at a car dealership to support a family of 4, struggling to make ends meet, and got a lot of help from his bosses and coworkers. Those fine folks helped to keep a roof over our heads and food in our stomachs. God bless them, and god bless you for looking out for your fellow man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.