1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting GLASS!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, May 26, 2000.

1. slingshot

slingshot LawnSite Member
    from pa

HEY GRASSMASTER is that scrub story aimed at me let me know

2. Finecut

Finecut LawnSite Member
    from IL

Slingshot,<p>I can't speak for Grassmaster and won't even try...but as a rule he doesn't point a finger at anyone or make disparaging remarks. <p>There was a moral to the story and you may or may not have gotten the point. The point was when you damage someones property you need to step up and become accountable for the damage. If you rear-ended a car in front of you because you weren't paying attention to where you were going, you certainly wouldn't tell them to get their insurance to repair the damage. You ran into them and you have insurance to cover that type of incident. Mow Ed did the right thing and he still has the customer to make money off of for the rest of the season and probably next year if Mow Ed wants his business next year. The profits from mowing this one lawn will many times over pay any increase in insurance costs. To tell the customer to use his insurance is being short sighted and not very ethical.

3. finecut wrote:<p>&gt;To tell the customer to use his insurance is being short sighted and not very ethical. <br> <p>Short sighted? What is short sighted about<br>protecting your best interests. If you<br>get too many claims your carrier will drop you like a rock and you will be blackballed<br>by the other carriers.<p>As a certified pesticide applicator I have <br>to have insurance. If I lose my insurance<br>I lose my livelyhood.<p>So who in thier right mind gives a rat's ass<br>about some little residental job you can replace tommorrow.<p>Self preservation is more important than ethics.<br>

4. slingshot

slingshot LawnSite Member
    from pa

THANK YOU STONE WELL SAID

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

question ??<br>do you get paid to walk the property and check for debris ??<br>is this check for debris a part of your charge to mow the property ?<br>if so, let your insurance handle it.<br>

6. Finecut

Finecut LawnSite Member
    from IL

So much for your ethics Lawrence.

7. What good are ethics when you are in line at the soup kitchen?

8. gusbuster

gusbuster LawnSite Silver Member

MOW ED<br>Maybe if there were more business operators like you, there wouldn't be the problems that all trades have. Even if it wasn't your fault, you did the damage, took the responsibility of your actions. That's why insurance exist. I've been in your boat too many times. MOW ED: you did something that any amount of money can't buy; you earned the trust of your client. You only earn trust, can’t buy it.<br>GrassMaster I couldn't of said what you said any better. &quot;When we do damage on others property, no matter what it is our responsibility to make it right!&quot;<p>MowEd, Can you go after the tree company? Would it be worth it to you? I've only done this once. Was it worth it, YES! The other contractor was a total d_ _ _ _. Also the customer saw the neighbor's contractor put the piece of pipe in my customer's lawn after BOTH my customer and myself asked him not to. I paid for the broken car window that i broke the following week myself, and then took the contractor to small claims after i filed a claim with him. My customer was very happy to submit an affidavit on my behalf. It took me a while, but after I filed a complaint with the State Contractor’s Board in my state, got my judgment paid.<br> Was my customer mad at me, no! He knew that it wasn't my fault. Well yes, it was my responsibility to check for the pipes, that's why, I paid for it. After 7 years, not only do I do still do his house, but 4 other family members other houses. <br>Jean <p><br> <p><p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044

9. GrassMaster

GrassMaster Senior Member

Hello Everybody:<p>I wish MOW ED would tell us what he did after fixing the window & what he thinks the results will be in the end, also how the customer reacted?<p>I think it would be very important to us all if MOW ED would when he has the time too, please tell us the rest of the story.<p>This is a story so far about first class professionalism all the way & it could be a dream come true for others.<p>Yes, one thing most of us can always use some brushing up on, that is on customer service & customer retention.<p>It is so easy to keep a customer if you act at all times like a Pro & if you act like a Pro no matter what it is still hard to get new customers.<p>80% of your work comes from 20% of your customers. Ask MOW ED I bet he gets a lot of referalls & thus the people are sold on his service-reputation before he ever meets them. Giving him more time to make more money & getting paid closer to what he is worth.<p>Just think if all your competition were like him, LOL your income would probably be 25% more on the same amount of work.<p>I never try to as some say point fingers at others & critize negetively. I have to much of my life invested on the internet & on this forum to even have one person to dislike me. As a famous saying in a movie a while back was made popular, Help Me, Help You!<p>I try to use nothing but real life situations at all times when ansering post but sometimes I have to be real creative to get the point across. <p>I can't point fingers at anyone, because I've never seen you & it would be a lie if I tried to judge you by your actions on this forum unless you repeatedly acted like a flat out fool, quite a few times. <p>Then LOL, I do not have to point fingers at anyone, because we are judged by our actions by a chosen few. <p>It would make Chucks job easier & membership would go clear through the roof, if we would just let others voice their opionions & let it go at that. Who are we to point fingers at anyone.<p>Forums are a place for the public to voice their thoughts without being critized for what they think & believe in. Lots of times by the time a discussion is finished, everyones opionion has changed anyway. <p>How many times had I wished I could go back & change my post. But when do you do that, because you never know when the last post is made.<p>Lets help keep this Forum #1, lets don't make it sound like #2. If nothing but positive post were made here & that's all. A lot of these lurkers would go ahead & join, not fearing on being slam dunked by others!<p> <p><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

10. OP
    OP
    MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry for not updating you sooner but my cursed kohler 25 went to the shop and I've been running behind my TORO to keep up. Rainin hard today 6-1 so I have some time. <p>GrassMaster, thank you for the kind words. I have much admiration and respect for many on Lawnsite and you are at the top.<p>The windows were fixed and the customer called and talked to my wife when I was out earlier this week. She was Very nice and told my wife that I should not worry about the glass as it was an accident. I will retain them as customers and will include the hand written letter with my bill as suggested.<br>I am scheduled to mow today but with the rain it may be tomorrow so I will stop by to make sure all is well. I will also call the glass company and find out the total damages.<p>I appreciate all the comments on this subject and I have considered all of them. I just try to treat people with the respect and consideration that I would like if I was on their end. I know this was an accident but I feel bad that it happened &quot;just because it did&quot;. I have learned a lesson in that when I notice something different on a property - I should investigate further and look around. Thats that. <br>I know accidents will happen in the future but I will do my best to prevent them. If my deductable goes up - so be it. Good Luck folks and thanks again, ed