Cutting granite posts

Woodland

LawnSite Member
We planted two granite posts on a job two weeks ago and the homeowner has decided they are too tall. They want to cut about two feet off of each of them. It is going to be very difficult to dig them up to cut them, so I want to try and cut them in place. The electric wire is obviously already run through the post. What do you think about the success of this plan.... I am planning to use a circular saw with a 7 1/4" diamond blade to cut all the way around the post (they are 7" x 7") and then use a cold chisel to break off the top section and then using a grinder to smooth down the remaining stone. I am concerned about using a larger cutoff saw as I don't want to cut too far and damage the electric line. Does it seem like this way would work without causing damage to the lower part of the granite posts?

4 seasons lawn&land

LawnSite Gold Member
no. the sawn top will look terrible. you have to take it out and cut the bottom. How did you core through the whole post for the electric wire?

OP
W

Woodland

LawnSite Member
The post come with the hole pre-drilled the entire length. Also, there is a "topper" that is mounted to the top of the post. It is a 2" thick piece of granite that is 9" square. If the top of the post, although somewhat rough after cutting, will be covered by the finish topper.

4 seasons lawn&land

LawnSite Gold Member
Oh, thats convienient then. Id take a 14" demo saw to it but as long as you can get a couple inches all the way around it should break where you need it. You didnt happen to see how the granite guys were coring the hole?

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
how well do you know this client?

My dad taught me many moons ago: "everyone is always nice until it comes to money"

What if you mess the post up? Will the client sign a damage waiver?

Are you charging for this?

amscapes03

LawnSite Senior Member
If your confident in cutting the granite, but worried about nipping or cutting the wire, slide a piece of 1/2" pvc or steel pipe over the wire and down the shaft. Your didn't mention the hole diameter, but you know what i mean.

vtscaper

LawnSite Member
sounds like you'll be fine doing this. if you have an idea of the core diameter then you should be able to calculate how far you can sink your blade in. If I didnt know then I would use a grinder w a 5" diamond blade and make a 2" deep score all the way around it then work it with some wedges...take ur time and she'll pop...

OP
W

Woodland

LawnSite Member
Thanks all. It went very smoothly, as I suspected it might. I used the 7 1/4" blade to make about a 2" cut all the way around and then popped the top with a sledge hammer and 1 1/2" cold chisel. My big concern was that by doing this, I would somehow pop of a splinter on one of the flat faces of the post. Sounds like sleepless night unwarranted!