Cutting Height "by the book"

Largebore

LawnSite Senior Member
If you want my honest opinion, the best "real life" setting, would be as high as your customers and mowers will allow you. Usually one of those two would be the limiting factor.
I can get 4. 25 on the deck, will give that a shot as grass does not look green at all at 3.75

Weeze, just out of curiosity while your in the thread, have you ever dealt with Zero Turn Man? I just got to thinking how your in Alabama. He's out of Alabama, a really good guy that I'd highly suggest if you ever need engine work. He rebuilds the Kawasaki mower engines from the ground up.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Just remember it's not all about just the height of cut, but also about how much your taking off between cuttings. But I think you'll be happier the higher you go.
Agree I do a test cut higher make a pass and see how it looks if you're getting yellowing or it's hard to cut your cutting to low and into the grasses sheath imo
I go by feelThumbs Up

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
Weeze, just out of curiosity while your in the thread, have you ever dealt with Zero Turn Man? I just got to thinking how your in Alabama. He's out of Alabama, a really good guy that I'd highly suggest if you ever need engine work. He rebuilds the Kawasaki mower engines from the ground up.

don't know him. i do have a kawi with 1200hrs on it so a rebuild may be needed down the road.

KB Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
My Dallas grass lawns look nice when I cut them at 1.75-2.0".... At least for a few hours. I swear they grow an inch or two over night. I hate them, but they are weekly cuts no matter how bad of a drought we have.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
here we have to edge every week and on bi weekly yards runners or grass will be 2-4" over the sidewalk after 2 weeks. :laugh:

lately with all the rain some are 6-8" over the sidewalk after 2 weeks. :dizzy:

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
My Dallas grass lawns look nice when I cut them at 1.75-2.0".... At least for a few hours. I swear they grow an inch or two over night. I hate them, but they are weekly cuts no matter how bad of a drought we have.

oh man i hate that stuff and it's everywhere here. that and bahia. that stuff grows over a foot tall in a week. i'll go mow bi weekly yards and they will have 2ft tall shoots of that stuff sticking up. it's always those that leave stragglers too. :dizzy:

here we have to edge every week and on bi weekly yards runners or grass will be 2-4" over the sidewalk after 2 weeks. :laugh:

lately with all the rain some are 6-8" over the sidewalk after 2 weeks. :dizzy:

I've seen lots of companies skip edging after cutting on particular weeks. I'm the complete opposite. I prefer to always edge, but sometimes skip cuts to allow the grass to get to a certain height. Edging always keeps the property looking neat and fresh and is something I won't skip for a week period. But I hear you, it's the same way here. If you skip edging for a week, you would hate your life the following week dealing with runners.

Top Forums