Cutting Height "by the book"

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Yellowing for sure. Weekly cut.
Is it irrigated? You been getting plenty of rain?
The lower cut exposes more stem and will show fungus too it's been a wet season and the fungus is really flaring up here red thread early, patch and now powdery mildew:eek:

Yellowing is usually a sign of stress to me. It could be your removing too much leaf surface. Doubt it's that bad if your cutting weekly. It could also mean your stressing it by cutting it in the hottest part of the day. Or Fescue having nodes, it could be that your cutting it low enough to cause damage to the nodes. Defiantly sounds like turf stress, and raising the height would be my first suggestion.

Largebore

LawnSite Senior Member
Is it irrigated? You been getting plenty of rain?
The lower cut exposes more stem and will show fungus too it's been a wet season and the fungus is really flaring up here red thread early, patch and now powdery mildew:eek:
Rain has been pretty consistent. But no irrigation. 11.5 acre property
A small slice has irrigation, yellowing is evident but not so bad as on non irrigated parts

oh man i hate that stuff and it's everywhere here. that and bahia. that stuff grows over a foot tall in a week. i'll go mow bi weekly yards and they will have 2ft tall shoots of that stuff sticking up. it's always those that leave stragglers too. :dizzy:

I mowed a hotel today that is infested with Crabgrass, and they refuse to fertilize or have it treated or Crabgrass. It also grows in a similar fashion. And always will as long as it's not treated. The property is on the main road and is always embarrassing, but boy can you make the eye play tricks. This is one of my only properties I cut short. I cut it at 2.5" period. It looks like carpet grass to passer buyers after its cut, but man is it embarrassing pulling it up to it or working on it before it's finished. The part I hate the most about it though is blowing it off the sidewalks. I swear crabgrass always holds moisture, perhaps that's why it survived the drought. Funny thing is, passer buyers, I can here some of them now, saying in their head, "Does that boy not know to cut higher." Perhaps now they can see, this "carpetgrass" I mean crab-grass will sure stay green all summer long.

T Total Lawncare

LawnSite Bronze Member
I've found the same despite what the turf management books say, especially living in the South. Weeze, you're in the South, I'd hate to say it, but your customers would hate me. The only way I would cut anywhere close to 2" or 1.5" if I was push mowing or reel mowing everything, fertilizing everything, and sprinklers were running every day or every other day. The turf management books depending on the variety, mostly say to cut Bermuda at 1-3" depending on the variety. In real world conditions, adding in all the variables, I find this is completely contradictory to real life. With that said, here's a few Bermuda properties I cut at 5". This time of year, I don't drop the deck when I pull off the trailer. 5" all the way. It grows very dense, thick, stays greener than everything around it, and needs cutting every week, some properties I cut twice a week. All these are only cut weekly at 5".

I would like to see a ruler on those. Not saying I don't believe that is 5" but if I cut something at that height it would look much taller in contrast to that curb.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
I mowed a hotel today that is infested with Crabgrass, and they refuse to fertilize or have it treated or Crabgrass. It also grows in a similar fashion. And always will as long as it's not treated. The property is on the main road and is always embarrassing, but boy can you make the eye play tricks. This is one of my only properties I cut short. I cut it at 2.5" period. It looks like carpet grass to passer buyers after its cut, but man is it embarrassing pulling it up to it or working on it before it's finished. The part I hate the most about it though is blowing it off the sidewalks. I swear crabgrass always holds moisture, perhaps that's why it survived the drought. Funny thing is, passer buyers, I can here some of them now, saying in their head, "Does that boy not know to cut higher." Perhaps now they can see, this "carpetgrass" I mean crab-grass will sure stay green all summer long.

honestly i think that is the reason for the short mowing around here. they want their weeds to look good. they don't understand that by doing that you are doing even more harm to what little grass they have left in the yard. eventually the yard ends up being all weeds and no grass. :dizzy:

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Rain has been pretty consistent. But no irrigation. 11.5 acre property
A small slice has irrigation, yellowing is evident but not so bad as on non irrigated parts
You could try cutting higher set your highest setting make a pass if it's not shaggy try the whole thing or a test section imo if it's shaggy drop a notch at a time and if it's still low to look good try increasing height a little each cut or every other until max height that's acceptable lookingThumbs Up

I would like to see a ruler on those. Not saying I don't believe that is 5" but if I cut something at that height it would look much taller in contrast to that curb.

I'll take one when I'm back there on Sunday. Perhaps it's camera images playing tricks, but defiantly at 5". You also have variables in this situation, including the height of the base level in contrast to the install. In other words, was your turf installed below the curb, level with the curb, or above the curb?

honestly i think that is the reason for the short mowing around here. they want their weeds to look good. they don't understand that by doing that you are doing even more harm to what little grass they have left in the yard. eventually the yard ends up being all weeds and no grass. :dizzy:

This hotel was 90% weeds when I started mowing it and still is 90% weeds, and always will be. So in other words, it will always be cut short. And it'll only look good for the first two days. :yow!:

Largebore

LawnSite Senior Member
You could try cutting higher set your highest setting make a pass if it's not shaggy try the whole thing or a test section imo if it's shaggy drop a notch at a time and if it's still low to look good try increasing height a little each cut or every other until max height that's acceptable lookingThumbs Up
Will give it a shot. Thanks

Top Forums