Cutting Height "by the book"

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Will give it a shot. Thanks
:)
This is a odd season early spring the grass shot up so I cut it tall was ready to drop down a notch but it looked good and was drying up a bit so I'm at the height I'd cut an unirrigated lawn in the summer Thumbs Up

T Total Lawncare

LawnSite Bronze Member
I'll take one when I'm back there on Sunday. Perhaps it's camera images playing tricks, but defiantly at 5". You also have variables in this situation, including the height of the base level in contrast to the install. In other words, was your turf installed below the curb, level with the curb, or above the curb?

I've been out to Texas several times and will concur y'all cut em high out there. I stayed at a hotel that had St. Augustine and when it was mowed it looked like they just nipped the tips. As hot and dry as it was it would be the only way to keep a lawn business. Otherwise everything would be dead..

I've been out to Texas several times and will concur y'all cut em high out there. I stayed at a hotel that had St. Augustine and when it was mowed it looked like they just nipped the tips. As hot and dry as it was it would be the only way to keep a lawn business. Otherwise everything would be dead..

I moved away from Tejas in the fall of last year. But you are right about that. That's the only way to keep business going and grass healthy in the hot summers. I took these practices with me. Another reason they just clip off the top is to reduce the stress during summer cutting.

KB Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
oh man i hate that stuff and it's everywhere here. that and bahia. that stuff grows over a foot tall in a week. i'll go mow bi weekly yards and they will have 2ft tall shoots of that stuff sticking up. it's always those that leave stragglers too. :dizzy:
Yeah. It shouldn't be a grass...

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Bump:)

Top Forums