Cutting your mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by grassyfras, Dec 7, 2018.

1. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Got it. Yeah if I could get bagged (and therefore dry) compost it would be a different story. Unfortunately I only use bulk.....and it’s pretty much guaranteed to have a high moisture content.

Have you ever tried a walk behind spreader? Possibly one designed for spreading winter salt? I always thought that might work well if I had access to a good dry, uniform compost.

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

I'm lucky enough to have multiple local sources for bagged and bulk compost.

I have not tried a spreader.

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

There must be a method invented by someone. Need creativity.
    Suppose you cut a big hole in your old spreader--say two inches diameter. (Use hole saw.) Cover the hole with duct tape or a piece of plastic held with three screws during the fertilizer season.
    Or invent a drop spreader with large holes for towing behind your mower or tractor.

5. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I guess an issue with a wall behind spreader would be capacity. I typically topdress with about one yard per k ft. That would be quite a bit of refilling the hopper.

6. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Heres what it looks like. The oldest stuff has been in there for 6 weeks. Nothing added for 2 weeks. Ive turned it 4-5 times. Im thinking Im just wasting diesiel if I keep turning it as much as I do.

87C5D3E4-4936-49E8-9D34-C2F42C74F3F8.jpeg

0678619E-23D7-4952-A6B2-379C0938214A.jpeg

D9DD6D13-8FA8-4079-BAC7-64AB96BCA608.jpeg

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind that a ratio of about 30 parts carbon to 1 part nitrogen is needed for rapid production of compost. This means you need to add about 25 percent grass clippings. Or you can add --I would estimate--say about 1 percent urea. The whole compost process works better if the leaves are chopped more finely. Naturally, it would spread better if the pieces were screened to less than a half-inch in diameter. If it has gone through a leaf loader, or mulching blade, the pieces are smaller.
    You might want to try adding a compost starter, bacteria and fungi mix that you can purchase. May not work--but its worth a try.
    https://www.espoma.com/product/compost-starter/

The picture looks like there might be a few full size leaves still in the compost. Your idea of a wheelbarrow and blower sounds like it would work if you can mount it somehow on a bracket.

8. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets say the pile is 100 yards. Do you think 1 bag or urea is enough? I think i can buy 42-0-0 for about $20.

9. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

and right at the new year buzzer maybe the best most important post of the year ! do away with hauling leaves out , whats best for earth and yard is to mulch em up .im gonna start using that slogan : MULCHIN , BEST FOR EARTH & YARD !

phasthound likes this.
  10. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

hort101 likes this.